MSI R9 390 but NOT under heavy load

Question asked by pleasefixmypc on Dec 23, 2015

Windows 8.1 64bit

CPU Intel Core i5 4690K 3.5Ghz Quad-core

RAM G.Skill Value 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory

MOBO ASRock H81M-HDS

EVGA 600B 600W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply

Asus VX238H 23.0" Monitor

Full build here: Intel Core i5-4690K, MSI Radeon R9 390, Fractal Design Core 1500 - System Build - PCPartPicker

Drivers are now at 15.11 Beta, but I've tried multiple versions and DDU'd with every change.

Built the PC ~6 months ago now. Slowly started seeing it crash to a black screen at random points. Rarely BSOD (more on this in a moment), just cuts to black, with the PC still running, no signs of stress via heat or noise. Just normal operations. This can happen randomly, watching a movie in VLC, opening up pictures on Reddit in Firefox, or running middle of the road games, NOT brand new shiny, heavy stress games. Have had no problem playing games like Battlefront (beta at least), Rainbow Six Siege, or Bioshock Infinite or Skyrim. However it will crash after varying lengths of time on older or not quite as shiny games, like Sims 2 (almost immediately), Star Wars Kotor (almost immediately) Cities XL (after 10 minutes max), XCom :EU (can run go a few hours without issue but has still cut out a couple times) and even something like Papers, Please (can run a good hour or two before failure). Sometimes, usually when watching a video, the screen cuts to black but the audio will continue for awhile. Other times, the audio hangs until I hit reset. Sometimes the audio just cuts entirely.

Today for the first time, it happened once on Papers, Please and I got the Windows frowny face emoji blue screen and the error "THREAD_STUCK_IN_DRIVER" like so

As mentioned, I've tried all the different variations of DDU and re-installing new driver packages, I've updated the BIOS, monitored temps in Speccy (nothing unusual there), I just recently started using WhoCrashed, where it mentions the above Thread Stuck error a few times. I've opened it and re-mounted, and also regularly cleaned for dust, etc.

I'm close to just calling it in on the warranty for a bad card unless anyone else has a solution I've missed.

Outcomes