1 Reply Latest reply on Dec 23, 2015 8:42 PM by tomtalk24

Any living room/Android TV dongle/Mini console in the works from AMD ?

scoty

I could not find any info on the subject so I thought this is the right place to ask. Is there any kind of such device that AMD is working on ?

I am asking because I want to make my old 50" Samsung TV into a smart TV with a simple HDMI dongle(ChromeCast 2 was my first choice), but as I started exploring the options I saw an offer, which had streaming the game from the PC to any other device available to the eco system(Android TV console and tablet atm). However I don't wanna switch my outperforming AMD GPU just to use the console that I am talking about...

The other option is coming from Razer, but the specs of the unit itself, the NO-STREAMING-OF-GAMES-FROM-THE-PC and the not so popular eco system(Cortex) made me steer away from it.

So please if anything is in the works give me a hint I don't mind waiting a bit... and if it is - please be sure to make it look sleek, something glossy black with dimmed red light, compact and aggressive looking(not some dull square box!) with matching sleek remote and controller. Don't forget to include a sweet deal breakers like 4k streaming/output, Google Voice search integrated into the remote, the ability to use multiple devices as controller(gaming with the controller, Android phone and iPhone/as controllers/ at the same time)... I am stopping here because its late and it seems I have started dreaming a bit.

• Re: Any living room/Android TV dongle/Mini console in the works from AMD ?
          tomtalk24

You have options that work on the same lines. AirPlay Chromecast, Steam play, Nvidia Shield all just encode and decode video, tbh if we had one system the world would be a nicer place. But everyone has joined the band waggon and made each their own, not sure if its as licences cost, or some broadcasting laws? But if your looking for an AMD branded version kinda like the NVShield their isn't and wont be, it would likely be open source but with DX12 around the corner most of this stuff wont work.

Your best bet is to use Steam Share, just add explorer.exe to your game library then you can surf, play Origin games, load a floppy disk just for the hell of it. Buy a Steam box if you want something none PC, ARM based next to the TV. Seems like your best bet, youll get the same near perfect image to what NVidia, Apple, Google can give, just cant mix and match. Unless you go Green then you can still use your Steam Box