25 Replies Latest reply on Jan 20, 2016 5:17 PM by firesembrace

ibuypower wa550b

firesembrace

Description

My first ever amd rig, that I am just now getting into updating. Here is the list of upgrades I am planning on doing with the exception of the fury x if possible. https://pcpartpicker.com/user/firesembrace/saved/#view=TWQJ7P

Upload your rig photos here!

1. Click Edit in the Actions menu to the right
      2. Click into this area
      3. Click the image icon in the text editor bar above to upload your image
      4. Delete these instructions
      5. Publish

Specifications

CPUAMD FX-4130 Quad-Core Processor
      Coolerstock
      MotherboardAMD 760G
      Memory8GB DDR3-1600Mhz SDRAM
      GraphicsNVIDIA GeForce GT 730
      Disc Drive 1
      Disc Drive 2
      Disc Drive 3{drive3}
      PSU350 Watt - ATX
      CaseRaidmax Horus
      MonitorOptoma HD28DSE
        • Re: ibuypower wa550b
          firesembrace

Ibuypower.jpg

2 of 2 people found this helpful
            ant25b

That'll be an awesome rig once it's all upgraded. I might suggest on upgrading the MoBo as well though, 760G are solid boards but very limited on features and no real overclocking support :\ ASUS and Gigabyte have a 970 board for around $50 - $60 that would be great to add to this

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                firesembrace

I was thinking about that myself but I am super hesitant because I would love to see what that new Zen chip is gonna do, as well as cost because I normally don't do too many upgrades (every few years) and those new chips (zen) I think are gonna be a new CPU socket the AM4 if I am not mistaken. Though to be honest I am salivating over that Asus Sabertooth 990FX R2.0 I found one that could be had for around $179 but I have seen people be able to overclock the fx 8350 to around 5.0ghz without breaking a sweat. (liquid cooled but 4.8 ghz seems more reasonable) But with that zen so close I can almost taste Intel tears I don't know that I wanna spend $200 for a soon to be outdated beast of a board. If I had the money or the prospect of more design clients I completely agree upgrading to the 970 board or the Sabertooth would be a no brainier for me. Though do we have a decent timeline on when they are gonna release zen?  I have been looking online and all I keep seeing is early or late (not definitive) 2016.

ant25b

From what I've heard about the AM4 boards, they'll be launching in the second quarter of 2016. I know how you feel though lol I'm wanting to start planning a new build but I want to wait for Zen to release before planning too much haha

ebonclaw

FYI, I was browsing Newegg for a friend's upgrades last night; he wanted recommendations, and I found an insanely good deal on a nice Thermaltake PSU that's cheaper, and has a higher wattage than the one one your list, and is fully modular.  If you got a little spending $ right now, it's a terrific start to whatever your end project may be!

Thermaltake Toughpower TPD-0750M - SLI / CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Gold Certification and Semi Modular Cables Black Activ…

firesembrace

Wow that is a great find, I am actually ordering that right now. Thank you both so much I really appreciate it. I really do hope those new chip-sets come out within the next 6 months I think the cpu is going to be my last item that I buy and I may get it used off eBay since I am not planning on overclocking with this board.  

firesembrace

Okay so I went ahead and bit the bullet the other day, and bought a 8370 because I found it for $157 new & out the door. Although I am not entirely sure its my best bet on this motherboard like what ant25b recommended the 970 or something else. So at the end of the day do you think I can get by with my MSI 760GMA-P34(FX) or will I need to go with something more substantial I just don't have a few hundred to spend on a mobo right now.

ant25b

As long as the BIOS on your board are updated to the latest then you should be able to run the 8370 fine at stock speeds. That is an awesome deal for that chip lol where did you find it so cheap?

ebonclaw

If you are looking for a cost effective motherboard upgrade to run the system a while longer comfortably, the ASUS M5a99FX Pro Rev 2.0 is an outstanding board for about $100; it's what I use and would pair nicely with the 8370.  I would say 4.3-4.5 Ghz would be an expected overclock with this board on air.  990FX chipset, a nice big VRM, plenty of USB ports and tons of fan headers.  I've had zero issues out of mine, it would be my recommendation as to get a significantly better board you'd have to spend a lot more money, and I don't think you'd really wind up with anything more than some fancy bells and whistles and maybe a little bit more OC potential.  My board has given my 8370 a stable overclock to 4.5.  The FX-9xxx CPUs never caught my fancy as their wattage requirements and thermals that required watercooling just weren't worth it to me for the marginal performance increase over an overclocked FX-8xxx series chip- it's pretty easy to get an 8350/70 to clock equal to or close to a 9xxx at stock speed.  I think a lot of people feel the same way as I don't see a lot of systems running those chips, the cost premium just isn't attractive for the increased requirements.  Still, that's a really good deal and if it was offered at that price the last time I upgraded I might have considered it.  I personally prefer running air cooling though, but that price is tempting enough I might've gone for it.

firesembrace

That is seriously good info, that is something I am going to keep a good look out for. I have to agree on the 9 series chipsets they seemed to fall flat, lets hope that zen is a bit better. When I got my cpu I wanted to op for something cooler and on a budget so I ended up going for the evo 212 cooler that I found new on ebay for around $18 and free shipping. Than I picked up some liquid silver cpu thermal paste. When I first fired it up after the power supply and  8370 upgrade I was running at tops around 60c which I thought was too hot, I added a top fan I had laying around (noisy sadly) and that reduced it down to around 28c

ebonclaw

Something is wrong there.  The Evo 212 is the same cooler I use, and the only real reason I even have a second fan is 50% aesthetics and 50% to direct airflow at the exhaust fan in my case a little better (even though numerous studies have shown the 2nd fan doesn't make hardly any difference in temps), but the stock fan by itself on the 212 should be giving you better temps than 60.  I'm overclocked to 4.5 and idle around 28-30C and under load at about 55C.  Makes me think there's some kind of airflow issue.......looking at the case I see it supports 2 120's as intakes and a 140 as an exhaust.  Kind of a bummer, I would have liked to have seen space for 2 140 intakes as you get much better air for less noise....not sure how the internals are situated in the build, but I'm hoping you've got two 120's in the front and the airflow path to the cooler is clear of cables and such.  Your cooler's orientation should be horizontal, pushing the hot air from the cooler into the exhaust fan and intaking the fresh air brought in by the intake fans.  If you have the cooler vertically oriented, it would make sense that the singular fan trying to push through the heatsink and out the top of the case wasn't doing the job and warm air was being recirculated.

Since adding the second fan made such a dramatic change for you, I'm inclined to say that it's made a difference in getting the hot air out of the case, but it shouldn't really be necessary if the case has a good airflow path. 

firesembrace

Well the setup goes the front of the case has one fan that pushes the air in and than their was one backfan at the back of the case, adding that top fan helped quite a bit, but I don't yet have the evo 212 install yet I ordered it but installed the 8370 with the stalk cooling unit, I think originally It was a noob move that caused the issue I placed many of my cable management cable ties in such a way it blocked the intake fan, on the front, I pulled em out and let them float added the second fan and that seemed to bring be down much cooler,  I am curious to see where that evo 212 will place it, for my next upgrade (zen) I am planning on an updated case and possibly a liquid cooling system but that is down the road when i'm making money lol. 

ebonclaw

The 212 should get your idle down to pretty much ambient, maybe a little over.  If those are your temps with the stock cooler, then I'd say that's probably about right.

My temps on an 8370 OC'd to 4.5 hit about 55-56C max under load and idle I think around 30C with the 212. 

I'm guessing the case doesn't have a good way to route cables behind the motherboard tray, otherwise I'd suggest doing what I did; using the cooler replacement as an excuse to pull my 'board entirely and redo my cable management.  But yeah, looking at that case, you should have the two front intake, the rear exhaust, and the cooler mounted horizontally; pay attention because it was only after I got my bracket in place I realized it was oriented incorrectly and had to redo it lol.

Some people might say the 212 is a little dated, they're probably right, but it's still a great cooler that will do the job very well.  I wouldn't worry too much about liquid cooling the rig, I have my reasons for preferring air cooling that I won't preach here, but a good case makes a world of difference temps and looks and sounds!  Fractal's Define R4/5 cases all have soundproofed interiors for instance, my R4 is virtually silent unless I crank the case fans up to max, and even then it's still waaaay quieter almost anyone else's PC.  I would advise a nice case as your next upgrade as Zen won't hit the shelves till Q4 if I recall correctly.

firesembrace

I am excited to get it, right now my top fan is just making lots of noise and it does kinda bug me. That fractal design case looks great for the job. I will put that on the list of things to grab, at this point I think the order of what I need next is a good gpu because i've still got in the gt 730 and a better mobo so overclocking is possible, and finally the case. Good to know about liquid cooling I guess I need to do more research on that, I know some of it is just for looks which as a work horse computer no one is really gonna see I am not sure I care. Although I've seen some setups with lightstrips that go behind the monitor and under the desk for ambient light that seems like it would help my eyes from time to time, (or at least my mood lol)

ebonclaw

I got some backlighting for xmas from my friends, here's what i looks like installed.  Yeah, it's much easier on the eyes.
                                                    6NMmbt0.jpg

Anyway, a good air cooler like the 212 in a good case is actually quieter than liquid cooling in a normal case as the fans run a low RPM unless under load, whereas a water pump makes the same noise regardless of workload.  The R4 comes with two 140mm silent series fans, which, from my experience, are terrific.  The integrated fan controller further grants more control over the noise levels.

The R4 pictured above is the windowed blackout edition.

Wait on the GPU; Polaris just shipped and will either grant you amazing performance from the latest generation of AMD's cards, or give you amazing value by dropping the price of current gen ones (see also, Fury's price drop)

firesembrace

Wow that looks so cool, that is almost exactly what I want to do with my own, I was unaware of Polaris shipping that looks amazing, though your right it'll likely make the older cards obsolete for many enthusiasts especially with the heat down. I am really looking fwd to getting that 212 because right now my case is pretty loud. What kinda backlighting did you end up getting? 

ebonclaw

Amazon.com: Lecoolife Eclipse Pre-Cut Multicolor RGB Home Accent LED Tape Light Strip Kit - Includes Remote Control and …

That's the exact kit that was used.  The only issue is that the black connectors are a little too long, which makes 90 degree turns to the next segment a little awkward; you wind up with some excess cable that needs to be managed or else it peeks out from behind the panel.  Oh, and the adhesive isn't that great, it's meant to be removable, but the tradeoff is that until I went to the office supply store and bought some velcro dots, the some of the strips kept falling.  Once I used the velcro dots on the backside of the strips to mount them, everything has been fine since.

firesembrace

Cool very cool, I think with how much I use my pc i'd be going thru lots of batteries though but I found this great one http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01ADDA6YS that came in just under 13, that plugs into the usb on the side of my monitor. It had good reviews and was cheap enough I figured what the heck, it'll be awhile till I get it but when I do and install i'll post a few photos. I am just itching for a graphics card but I have to respect the validity that new gpus are gonna release any day that'll drive current ones down in price. Although i'm really surprised how well these things hold their value. Today I am planning on selling my old 4300 cpu on ebay because they are fetching around $50+ used which is pretty surprising to me but if I could regain some of my cost of the new cpu that would be amazing. Thanks again for sharing your backlighting with me.

theprist

AMD FX 9590 Black Edition 4.7GHz Eight-Core Socket AM3+ Boxed Processor FD9590FHHKWOF - Micro Center i want to share this with you guys , i think this is the lowest that i've seen the cpu 4 such low price !!!

3 of 3 people found this helpful
                                                firesembrace

That is a killer deal from micro-center though I don't have one within a few hundred miles of me   That chip is pretty amazing but I hear its power hungry and hot. There was a guy who said remember that game as a kid "the ground is lava" this is the grown up edition "the case is lava" Though I have to say if I had the money for a good liquid cooling loop with that chip I would be tempted for that price . (but after all that is what priests are for "confession" I am feeling envious of it)  @Ant Yea jet has some really great prices that they are always running deals on. If you go to slickdeals.com and type jet.com in the search you will normally come up with the latest discount codes than simply apply them to the object of your affection. Max discount is $50 but that is still far less than I've found anywhere else. You can pick up the 8350 from there using that same code for around $135 why I opted for the 8370 is I believe that when the 8350 first came out it was on piledriver not bulldoser architecture so I was not sure if they are selling the older chipset at those prices, or if that is even an issue at all. That and the silicon lottery seems much better on the newer 8370 and for $20 why not also @ ant, thanks for setting me straight on the mobo I must say I was starting to feel I had made a horrible mistake if that extra upgrade was going to make me have to buy a $200 mobo lol      

rwgtroll

i thought I would share this with you in case you needed to cut down on the cost a little. https://www.reddit.com/r/microsoftsoftwareswap/ this is a cheap place ti get you windows from. It might give you a little more money to throw at some parts