4 Replies Latest reply on Feb 3, 2016 10:42 AM by bram

switchable graphics not working in Windows 10

bram

Hi,

I have the following setup:

cpu: intel i7-3630QM with Intel HD 4000 graphics

video: AMD 8970m graphics card

drivers Intel: 15.33.39.4276 (10.18.10.4276)

drivers AMD: Crimson 15.11.1 (also tried 15.11)

When I run Windows 8.1, i can select which graphics card I want to use for each program I run. (it used to be in CCC, and now it's in the "radeon additional settings")

I recently upgraded to windows 10 (since all my hardware is win 10 compatible) but it now permanently runs all programs on the Intel HD graphics instead of the AMD one.

I installed all drivers (several times in different order, each time using the "display driver uninstaller" from guru3d).

Both the Intel and AMD drivers installs correctly, however when i try to open up the radeon/ccc program, I get the error: "No AMD graphics driver is installed, or the AMD Driver is not functioning properly"

I have no ability to select that i want to use the AMD card for a selected program (since that option is not available in radeon/ccc under windows 10) (it is in windows 8.1)

When looking at different posts/forums, there seems to be a lot of people with the same or similar issues.

Are there any workarounds, or does anyone know if AMD will provide a software fix for this, as this is clearly a bug?

I already contacted AMD support, but they told me that I should file a report on www.amd.com/report/

I did that, some time ago, but I have the feeling that no one is looking at these reports, and it clearly states that no feedback will be provided (which makes it rather pointless)

Thanks in advance

• Re: switchable graphics not working in Windows 10
          sean.i

Perform a clean uninstall again and then install the Radeon Crimson Edition 15.12 Beta driver: Legacy

After the driver is installed check to see if you can launch Radeon Settings.

bram

Hi Sean,

thanks for the response, but thing is that I don't see anything in the 15.12 release notes that says that it would fix this issue with switchable graphics.

I reverted back to windows 8.1 until there is a fix from AMD. re-installing windows 10 over and over again, and hoping for the best is rather time-consuming.

So can anyone confirm (or deny) that the switchable graphics issue is resolved with the 15.12 drivers in windows 10?

Thanks!

bram

I re-installed windows 10 with the crimson 15.12 drivers and this resulted in:

- I still cannot open the "radeon settings" (i get the error: "No AMD graphics driver is installed, or the AMD driver is not functioning properly. Please install the AMD driver appropriate for your AMD hardware")

- but the software I tried, is now using the AMD HD 8970m hardware instead of the intel HD 4000

But I have no ability to choose which software should run on which hardware (since i cannot open the settings), however the 15.12 drivers are already an improvement. (does anyone know how to access the "advanced settings" (style Catalyst control center) directly (so i can possibly avoid the above error?)

bram

with the Crimson 16.1.1 (cleaninstall) it's still the same error. "No AMD graphics driver is installed, or the AMD driver is not functioning properly. Please install the AMD driver appropriate for your AMD hardware."

for a system that is compatible with windows 10 according to microsoft and AMD, it's quite a dissapointment that even the AMD settings won't open...

is there an option to just disable this check in the radeon software, i mean i know the AMD card is installed and gpu-z can see it, so this just seems to be an AMD software issue