6 Replies Latest reply on Dec 23, 2015 6:25 PM by wonkeyeyes

Too old for Witcher

danfromoh

My non Witcher machine.JPGDescription

Build over six years ago and not enough power even to run witcher. Planning on an AMD 8 core and R 390 in the spring.

Specifications

CPUi7 950 1st gen
      Cooler
      MotherboardGigabyte
      Memory12 g running at 1833
      GraphicsRadeon 5770
      Disc Drive 1Samsung 250 SSD
      Disc Drive 22 tb Seagate
      Disc Drive 3{drive3}
      PSU1200 W
      CaseAntec
      MonitorASUS 23 inch
        • Re: Too old for Witcher
          glebtor

It's cool!

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            ant25b

I think the only thing holding this rig back from performing is that GPU lol that i7 should still be able to perform pretty decently nice rig though. Love seeing older builds still being used.

danfromoh

The 1st gen i7 only runs at 3.0.  Witcher takes 3.5 (I think) and the graphics card I have has to go for Witcher as well.   Been reliable machine until about six months ago.  New 1200 w power supply replacement and I had a hard drive going bad.  Which is why the new SSD (with windows and the current game being played on it) and 2 TB Hard drive.  I used it for MMO gaming like DDO and SWTOR for a very long time. 

The other option for the i7 is to see if it can be over-clocked.   

So if I replace with a new chip and motherboard I bet I will be tempted by a new case also .  Really like the new ones with easy access to fan filters for cleaning.

ant25b

I think OCing would squeeze a little bit more life out of it but yeah a new CPU and MoBo would definitely help with modern games. Could always re-purpose the old stuff for an overkill NAS or something lol

stalker

how can i find the red rig showcase form plz help...when i open the side link it takes me to somewhere else