9 Replies Latest reply on Dec 24, 2015 1:20 PM by bank_shot

how to run dual w5100

bank_shot

I have a Dell T3600 workstation. Dell set it up with two FirePro V4900's (I don't know why). I have replaced them with two W5100's. I can't get both to turn on and stay on. How can I force two PCIe slots to power up?

Thx

Mike

• Re: how to run dual w5100
          kingfish

What power supply do you have?

bank_shot

I'm running a 1300 watt PS. I had a 625 W but upgraded.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                  kingfish

We have some crossfire experts around here backFireX64  t77chevy

Are you using bridges?

bank_shot

I'll give you the whole story so it will make sense to you. I bought the workstation with the intent of going to a crossfire setup. When I ordered it I didn't know V4900's cannot crossfire. Dell recommended the W5100's for an upgrade. I ordered two W5100's thinking I could just replace the crossfired V4900. But, they can't be crossfired either. I'm stuck with two 4Meg cards instead of buying a single 8Meg card. In preparation for the new cards I bought a used 1300W pwr supply.

When I first installed the new cards they both worked. Then the next day one card came up, then after boot up shut down and the other card would come on.

I went into the Bios and tried some different things but none worked. I read about a PCIe patch that is supposed to force two PCIe slots on. I think that patch will fix the problem.

If I had known Dell had done this I would have told them to drop one card and put in a bigger one.

To sum it up. I am trying to get two PCIe slots to turn on and drive two video cards. One card for each monitor. Pretty dumb isn't it?

Thx for your help

Mike

t77chevy

workstation mobo are a whole different setup then
                          I'm used to ,and for rendering ect you don't want the gpus in cf you want each gpu working on its own instance , for gaming cf comes in handy but not rendering ect .

you stated it did work at one time so the mobo should be fine with cf so it comes down to the os used, most workstations run a dedicated version of windows /linux and features are a little different , but any pci power controls ect you will want out of power saving mode which is normally on by default , also windows has a horrible habit of installing drivers ontop of already installed drivers which could also be causing the issue

2 of 2 people found this helpful