4 Replies Latest reply on Dec 23, 2015 4:58 PM by t77chevy

270x @ 100 degrees

mokdabu

Hi. I recently received Witcher 3 as gift. I installed it and i saw i couldn't run it even on Low. I watched a video on youtube of some user who was playing Witcher 3 on ultra on the exact same configuration i have (minus the chassis). I asked that user why i could not run it even on Low and he advised me to check my gpu,cpu usage and temperatures. My i5 4590 was running on 45% at 40degrees but the GPU (gigabyte r9 270x Windforce 3x) was running at 100% @ 52degrees @ 450MHz. I told him i had the latest Crimson 15.12 driver and he told me to remove it and install Catalyst 15.11.1. I did as he said, and the GPU was now working at 1100MHz (stock) but the temperature increased very fast to 102 degrees and it then suddenly dropped to 450MHz and 50degrees. I have good airflow, all three gpu fans are working fine, I have almost no dust in my rig and the heatsinks are immaculate.  When i opened the chassis to look for dust, i saw the fans (working at 100%) blew out rather cold air, even though it was working at 100degrees.  The gpu has been replaced a few months back, under warranty (i still have warranty until 2017). They said the GPU got fried. I haven't played to much since then due to lack of time. Could it be they did not fix the heatsink on the GPU accordingly when they replaced it?  I also tried downclocking to 900Mhz and the temperature still goes up to 100degrees (slower, but still does after 4-5 minutes of playtime) even with the fans at 100%. What should i do?! Should i send it again to warranty?!

Please let me know your thoughts.

Have a great day!

• Re: 270x @ 100 degrees
          t77chevy

sounds like the cooler or paste wasn't applied correctly , yes i would rma

3 of 3 people found this helpful
              mokdabu

Thanks for the reply. I will RMA it. I tried again with the Crimson driver and although the GPU is not locked to 450MHz, the problem is still there. When the temperature reaches 100 degrees the gpu goes down to 450MHz.

mokdabu

OK! Problem solved. Just got back from a local service. They disassembled the card and changed the Thermal Paste. They showed me the paste was not applied correctly as it was pushed aside by the pressure of the bolts. They probably cranked the bolts too hard when they changed the GPU last time. There was literally no paste on the GPU. They put a small blob of Deep Cool Z3 on the  gpu after they cleaned it and they said it was good to go. I mounted the card onto the mobo and now it's been running at 30deg on idle and 65deg at full load in Shadow of Mordor (ultra settings) and 69deg on full load in Witcher 3 (ultra settings). I now get about about 50 fps in SoM and 40-45 fps in W3. Sounds pretty good to me...

Thanks for the support!