0 Replies Latest reply on Dec 19, 2015 3:45 PM by thorfkin

HDMI Audio Signal Stability

thorfkin

I have an Asus Radeon R9 280X-DC2T-3GD5 in my home theater PC. This card appears to have an issue with the HDMI audio. When the card rests at idle, the receiver to which the card is connected starts to connect and disconnect from the PC rapidly over and over again. I.E. the HDMI audio signal is destabilizing. Just to be clear this only affects the audio and only while the graphics card is idle. The video signal appears to be stable regardless. The problem stops when any audio is played, or if I run a game, but resumes when the card returns to idle frequency (300mhz). The problem gets worse if I max the audio quality settings. So for example when the speaker setup in Windows is configured for 7.1 audio, 24bit, 192khz the problem is worse than when it's set to Stereo, 16bit, 44khz. My home theater setup is somewhat high-end so I keep it configured for 7.1, 24bit, 192khz.

I did find a workaround for this problem that has worked with all driver versions prior to the new Crimson edition. With the Catalyst 15.7.1 driver I could resolve the issue by setting the GPU's minimum core clock frequency to 500mhz rather than the default 300mhz. Doing so stabilizes the HDMI audio signal. To set the minimum GPU frequency to 500mhz, I had to enable GPU Overdrive in the Catalyst Control Center and then edit the file C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\ATI\ACE\Profiles.xml. I would change the value for Want_0 from 30000 to 50000, effectively setting the minimum clock frequency to 500mhz. Here's what that edited section looks like:

<Feature name="CoreClockTarget_PCI_VEN_1002&amp;DEV_6798&amp;SUBSYS_30061043&amp;REV_00_4&amp;14E8F4CB&amp;0&amp;0010A">

<Property name="Want_0" value="50000" />

<Property name="Want_1" value="107000" />

</Feature>

My problem is that I can't seem to find a way to replicate this using the new crimson edition driver. The file Profiles.xml no longer exists. I haven't found a way to set the minimum GPU frequency using any other files or registry entries. Does anyone know a way to set the minimum GPU frequency while using the new Crimson Edition 15.12 driver? I'd very much like to upgrade to the current driver release but can't until I can find a way to resolve this HDMI audio issue with it. Alternately if you know of some other way to stabilize the HDMI audio signal I'm open to suggestions.

System Hardware & Specifications:

Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth 990FX R2.0

CPU: AMD FX-8350 @ 4.4ghz

Memory: 16gb DDR3 @ 1866mhz

Video Card: Asus Radeon R9 280X-DC2T-3GD5

Receiver: Pioneer SC-1222-K 7.1 Surround

Display: Panasonic TC-P58VT25 58 inch 3D Plasma

Video Driver: Catalyst 15.7.1 currently

Cables: Comprehensive brand HDMI Cables