AnsweredAssumed Answered

GPU randomly crashing. No idea why.

Question asked by emeraldacid on Dec 19, 2015
Latest reply on Jan 18, 2016 by atlasminor

So, my machine is relatively new; freshly arrived and assembled around mid October, with the GPU and Power Supply being a couple weeks older. Everything runs fine overall, but occasionally and randomly the computer will crash on me when YouTube is open. The first time it happened was about a week after the machine had been built. I've been told by multiple sources that it's a graphical issue, as the screen doesn't just go black or BSoD, but instead it goes either green or red with a bunch of thin multi-colored lines across it like a messed up TV.

There's no way to actively reproduce the issue as it just happens at random every couple of weeks, and after the computer forces itself to restart after the crash, I can go right back to what I was watching and it'll act perfectly fine as if nothing has happened. It has never crashed when actually playing any games, with the exception of Minecraft when at full screen (two crashes within an hour or so of each other with Minecraft). Every other time it has only been when YouTube has been running, even when it wasn't the active tab.

It's quite inconvenient to lose whatever I was doing at the time since there're no symptoms or warnings before it happens, and some things I do cannot be saved for extended periods of time.

The specs I'm running are:

Radeon R9 270X GPU

ASRock 980DE3/U3S3 ATX AM3+ Motherboard

AMD FX-4350 4.2GHz Quad-Core Processor

16G of Memory

600W Power Supply

Outcomes