commandershepard

I just wanna play Fallout 4 :'(

Discussion created by commandershepard on Dec 18, 2015
Latest reply on Dec 18, 2015 by ebonclaw

Currently have a VAIO E Series laptop with an i7-3632QM CPU, 8GB DDR3 RAM, and integrated Intel HD 4000 Graphics and was hyped for Fallout 4. The little VAIO that could (almost) had enough RAM and a competent CPU, but the integrated graphics was the breaking point. However, I refused to give up. I edited the game to run in DirectX 11 rather than DX12, tweaked the .ini until the game was sure to look like something from the early 2000s and even went into the computer registry to prevent the Intel HD driver from crashing. At this point I didn't care about my PCs longevity, I HAD TO PLAY FALLOUT! After all the tweaking (both the .ini and from Fallout withdrawal) I eventually got the game to run past the face creator, at a blazing 17FPS. Combat was impossible without VATS and running in buildings was not an option unless I wanted to run into walls endlessly. But quality didn't matter, I was getting my fix. And then the Corvega Plant happened. 4FPS. I quit cold turkey.

But the wilderness kept plaguing me. There had to be something I could do. I began looking at controversial, inhumane, unnatural means to run the game: eGPUs. This Frankenstein's Monster of PC gaming may be the way to go. But I wasn't willing to sacrifice my laptop's portability, and this mutated monstrosity of a means did not justify the end.

So instead I decided to build a rig. Although Fallout 4 is Nvidia optimized, I was on a budget and decided on AMD products. After doing my research, I found that the Red Team had won me over. So to spite Nvidia's attempted monopoly on AAA titles, I vowed to go Red all the way. Poor optimization and Gimpworks would not stop the beating heart of the Red Team.

I haven't accumulated all my parts yet, but here is what It's gonna be:

CPU: AMD FX-8320 3.5GHz 8-Core Processor

CPU Cooler: Deepcool CAPTAIN 240 91.1 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler

Motherboard: ASRock 990FX Killer ATX AM3+ Motherboard

Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory

Storage: PNY CS1211 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive

Video Card: PowerColor Radeon R9 390 8GB PCS+ Video Card

Case: Deepcool KENDOMEN Red ATX Mid Tower Case

Power Supply: Thermaltake 750W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply

Total: <$700 with rebates, combos, etc.

Keep in mind I was on a tight budget, but I think I got a pretty good bang for my buck.

AMD is GOAT ("god of all things ", not to be confused with the G.O.A.T. "generalized occupational aptitude test") and I'm now Red Team Or Die.

EDIT: Here are the pics (pardon the potato)

IMAG0328.jpgThe components (minus the GPU, I was way too eager to get started building to wait for it)

IMAG0332.jpg

My attempt at cable management. The flat wires of the PSU were a hassle, as bending them to route them was impossible since they were like a ribbon of cables rather than a bundle (if that makes sense)

IMAG0334.jpgFast-forward to the Windows boot (was too into it to take intermediate pics)

IMAG0359_1.jpg

Wanted to do a push/pull on the 240 rad, but there was no space with the heatsink

IMAG0360_1.jpgThe fan hub was a nice addition, and allowed me to put the rad fans on one controller

IMAG0358.jpg

The fans on the Captain 240

IMAG0353.jpgThe aesthetics of the cooler

IMAG0352.jpg

The belly of the beast

IMAG0345.jpgThe setup. Yep, I'm using an old 4:3 monitor from the early 2000s and an equally antiquated rubber-dome keyboard. My next steps are a mechanical keyboard, and ultrawide monitor (oh and more storage).

Yep, I get it's weird that the post title is "I just wanna play Fallout 4 " and this is a Mass Effect theme, but I love them both so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯.

Outcomes