Propietary Driver for Radeon R6 in Debian

donatoll

Hi,

First my specs:

Machine: Toshiba Satellite L50D-C-13P

APU: AMD A10-8700P Accelerated Processor con AMD Radeon™ R6 Graphics

S.O.: Debian 8.2 (Jessie)

Desktop: Xfce4.10

With Debian, I have -and running ok- the driver xserver-xorg-video-radeon. But I'd like to install the AMD propietary driver...

At the Debian wiki, I see it's not possible for GNOME desktops: "This driver is incompatible with the GNOME desktop, as it does not support the EGL interface. It is recommended to use the free radeon driver instead."

But it's said about "AMD Catalyst 14.9" (not the last one) and about GNOME (and I use XFCE). So I discard it And...

I downloaded the latest AMD driver (amd-driver-installer-15.30.1025-x86.x86_64) and I followed the instructions to generate a Debian specific package. But I cannot build the package:

Check if system has the tools required for Packages Generation.

To build RPM packages 'rpmbuild' software package is necessary. Please install it either from DVD or download from any website.

On Red Hat, please run commnad : sudo yum install rpm-build <we presume, you have RedHat registration. Otherwise create local repo fro

m DVD>

On SuSE, please run commnad: sudo zypper install rpm-build <we presume, you have DVD in CD drive>

Please look in to Installer Notes for further information

To build kernel modules of AMD, system needs Kernel-Development package to be installed

Please run command: sudo zypper install kernel-devel <we presume, you have DVD in the CD driver>

One or more tools required for Graphics Pacakges Generation are not found on the system. Recommended is to install the required tools

for successful package generation.

Optionally, you can run commands to ignore these dependecies but end result may not be as expected. Not recommended

Well, Debian does not work with rpm packages...and rpmbuild does not exists....

So, here are my doubts:

1.- Is actually possible to install the propietary driver with my specs?

1.a.- If yes, how do I solve the "rpmbuild" situation?

1.b.- If not, would I get some benefits if, apart from the debian default driver I alreaady have, I install firmware files, as axplained here?

Well, thanks in advance!!

• Re: Propietary Driver for Radeon R6 in Debian
          amdmatt

Unfortunately, Debian Linux is not a supported distribution and our driver may not work as intended.

Distributions supported:

• Red Hat Enterprise Linux Suite 7.1, 7.0, 6.6, 6.5
          • Ubuntu 12.04.4 LTS, 14.04.2, 15.04
          • SUSE® Linux Enterprise 11 SP3, 12
          • OpenSuSE 13.1

Please install one of the supported Linux distributions and we we do our best to help after. However other community members might be able to help you.

1 of 1 people found this helpful