AnsweredAssumed Answered

DirectX 9 games stuttering with R7 M360.

Question asked by sasquash on Dec 16, 2015
Latest reply on Dec 17, 2015 by amdmatt

Working on a family member's brand new HP Pavilion, model 15z-ab000 CTO, dxdiag attached.

Processor: A8-7410 APU

Graphics: Integrated R5 and discrete 2GB R7 M360

RAM: 8GB

AMD Driver Version: Crimson 15.11

This laptop runs with an A8-7410 APU and a discrete 2GB R7 M360, and 8GB of memory. It's certainly no powerhouse, but it should at least be able to run just about anything released 2012-2013 or earlier without complaint. Unfortunately, most games more resource hungry than those released for the Atari 2600 run with a frequent and persistent stutter that renders games hugely unpleasant at best, and basically unplayable at worst for multiplayer-oriented titles. Even games like Team Fortress 2 that require the computing capabilities of a potato suffer from this.

The first thing I did was make sure that all drivers were up to date. AMD drivers were uninstalled, had DDU clean up, and freshly reinstalled. Next I assumed it was a simple case of games not making use of the discrete card by default. After poking around in the settings and manually setting games to use high-powered mode, there was no joy.

A bit of Google searching led me to this piece of literature, however, which shed some light on the situation: HP Notebook PCs - Switchable Graphics on Notebooks Configured with Dual AMD GPUs | HP® Customer Support

It claims that DirectX 9 games will automatically use the integrated card, and that the problem is in fact a "feature working as intended." Civilization V conveniently enough has separate DX9 and DX10/11 versions to put this to the test. Lo and behold, the DirectX 10/11 version runs as smooth as butter on medium to high settings, while the DirectX 9 version took about ten minutes to load the main menu.

We now arrive at the meat and potatoes of the issue. All this said, is there any way to get the discrete card to play nice with DirectX 9?

Thanks much to all for any assistance, I would be happy to provide any additional information or musings as needed.

Attachments

Outcomes