25 Replies Latest reply on Jan 5, 2016 6:14 PM by john007

r9 390 keeps crashing

jordan72491

Im having issues with my r9 390. After playing most game for a good 30 mins or so it will crash. Ive updated to the current AMD crimson drivers and when I unistall the old ones I follow the AMD removing process. Ive had this issue over the last 3 or so software updates. Other people I know have an AMD card and it doesnt happen to them. It seems to be only me with the 390.

This is the error I am getting.

[img]http://i.imgur.com/HFOAD4S.png[/img]

Any help is appreciated.

• Re: r9 390 keeps crashing
          amdmatt

What game are you playing?

What AMD driver and OS are you using?

What are your full system specifications?

jordan72491

So far its crashed with GTA V and Neverwinter. Im afraid to buy fallout 4.

Driver is the AMD Crimson Edition 15.11.1. is the one currently installed (15.300.1025.1001)           its crashed with the catalyst 15.11 beta as well

System:

CPU: AMD FX-8350

32gb ram

GPU: AMD r9 390

800w PSU

amdmatt

How many displays are you running?

Are you playing the games in fullscreen mode?

Are you streaming or watching a video at the same time?

Try the steps below to see if that resolves the issue.

Please uninstall all AMD Drivers, including chipset drivers using the following guide.

After all AMD drivers are uninstalled from your system, please scan and repair your Windows install for any errors or corrupt files, which could be causing issues.

To do this on Windows 7, simply follow the guide on this link. You will need to run command prompt as an administrator and type SFC /SCANNOW and hit enter. Once that scan is complete it should inform you of the outcome of the scan.

Please head to Windows Update and ensure you’re checking for and installing all available updates, including non-critical and recommended updates. You may have to restart your computer several times and check for new updates upon reboot of your computer before it’s fully up to date. It’s crucial to have all the available Microsoft Net Framework packages and service packs installed to use the Catalyst Control Center.

Please download and run DDU and click Clean and Restart.

Download Catalyst 15.11.1 Beta.

Please install our Catalyst Graphics Drivers following this guide. 

Has that resolved the problem?

jordan72491

How many displays are you running?

just 1

Are you playing the games in fullscreen mode?

no. i play in windowed mode.

Are you streaming or watching a video at the same time?

I am not. Im sure its happened before while ive played.

Try the steps below to see if that resolves the issue.

Please uninstall all AMD Drivers, including chipset drivers using the following guide.

After all AMD drivers are uninstalled from your system, please scan and repair your Windows install for any errors or corrupt files, which could be causing issues.

To do this on Windows 7, simply follow the guide on this link. You will need to run command prompt as an administrator and type SFC /SCANNOW and hit enter. Once that scan is complete it should inform you of the outcome of the scan.

Please head to Windows Update and ensure you’re checking for and installing all available updates, including non-critical and recommended updates. You may have to restart your computer several times and check for new updates upon reboot of your computer before it’s fully up to date. It’s crucial to have all the available Microsoft Net Framework packages and service packs installed to use the Catalyst Control Center.

Please download and run DDU and click Clean and Restart.

Download Catalyst 15.11.1 Beta.

Please install our Catalyst Graphics Drivers following this guide.

Has that resolved the problem?

System check was good, uninstalled and used the DDU, reinstalled the drivers.  Im trying it out now to see if it works. Ill keep you updated.

jordan72491

And its crashed again. Gave the same error. GTA also gave a 3D error after an hr or so.

john007

Hello,

What does the Event Viewer state at the time of the crash?

jordan72491

Warning: Display source event ID 4101   Display driver amdkmdap stopped responding and has successfully recovered.

john007

Hello,

Display driver amdkmdap stopped responding and has successfully recovered.

In my experience that particular error is voltage related. You may need to increase the voltage and power consumption to the GPU as crimson further reduces power consumption.

mwnn

I get that error myself playing a completely different set of games (Unity Engine 5, DX11 & R9, R7 and 7xxx Cards (Wasteland 2 DC & Satellite Reign))

Strangely I don't get any crashing occurring in those games when I force DirectX 9.

I haven't tested other games extensively - I'll have to do that.

I'm still trying to narrow down the problem.

I was able to play Witcher 3 and GTA V without issue when those were released.

Looking at my old post I must've been using Windows 7 and Catalyst 15.4

GTA V - Cutscene issues on an R9 285

My Sapphire R9 285 has a dual bios (legacy & uefi) and I normally use legacy mode - version: 015.047.000.003.000000

A Corsair HX520W should be enough juice to power the card - although I admit it's getting older.

I think it's either:

• A recent Windows 10 update (or Win 10 in general)
                                          • Recent drivers & aggressive power saving
                                          • Legacy bios issue with Win 10
                                          • ULPS ?

So far I've:

• Reflashed the existing vbios with ATIFlash.
                                          • Toggled the card to UEFI mode and was able to play for quite some time last night with no crashing under DirectX11
                                          • Back to using legacy bios with Crimson 15.12 WHQL - so I'll see how that goes.

I don't recommend that people try those steps without knowing what they're doing.

What a strange problem ?!?

amdmatt

Try playing in fullscreen mode and if the same issue occurs.

Are other games crashing?

The next step would be to try an older driver version before this issue started.

jordan72491

Try playing in fullscreen mode and if the same issue occurs.

Fullscreen crashed faster than windowed did. about 10 mins.

Are other games crashing?

only games i play are GTA V and Neverwinter. Both crash with 3D errors.  This is the 2nd r9 390 card ive bought. I returned the first thinking it was hardware issue. The games work fine in "low" graphics mode. But with an 8gb card, I dont want to play in the lowest settings..

The next step would be to try an older driver version before this issue started.

I purchased it in September. Every driver ive used since then has crashed.     It seems that I am still having this issue here: MSI R9 390, Driver crashing, Help

jordan72491

Previously when it happened I would get a blue screen + get a notification in the tray that said "AMD Display driver has stopped working and been recovered", also give the game error shown above. Now when it crashes, just the game shuts off and gives an error. This only changed after I updated to the Crimson drivers. So I can say that it has improved? But its still giving the 3D error. Just no more blue screens.

wesbo

Whats your motherboard and what make model is your PSU ? If the game runs ok on low it seems to be something your system doesn't like with the higher power usage.

Tried using different PCI-E outlets from your PSU ? (I'd imagine that on an 800w power supply you more than 2x8 pins available)

To me it's sounding like a power phase on your motherboard isn't happy, or your PSU is crapping out ... And I generally never go the bad PSU route.

Also try removing 1 ram stick at a time, you might have a faulty one and having trouble receiving textures to cache or something like that. How many ram sticks do you have 2x16 or 4x8?

Is your 8350 overclocked ?

Oh and also what gpu did you have before this 390 ? Or is it a new build ?

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                                      jordan72491

I have  4x 8gb ram sticks, the CPU isnt overclocked, and before this i had the r7 250 1gb.

Ive run a mem test and I know its not the ram.

wesbo

What about the rest of my questions ? Psu model make? tried other pci-e cables ? Motherboard model ?

Try removing the ram sticks one by one, if you get to your last 8gb and you still have a crash remove that one and replace it with another, could still be ram, memtest is only usefull to some extent, sometimes you can get 1 ram stick out of the pack of 4 you bought that doesn't like the timings used and it will work fine at idle but can start freaking out during load, especially if the 4 sticks weren't bought in the same pack. They are all the same sticks ?

I don't think it's the card nor the drivers, but another problem in your rig, now you have to go though all the possibilities

jordan72491

So its crashed again. this time I monitored the temp. crashed at about 57c.  since the black screen/ crash ended I have turned off all programs and the GPU clock has been running at this (http://i.imgur.com/W16GlKX.png ) for the last 5 mins (IDLE ON DESKTOP). I had to restart the computer for the GPU to get off 100% on everything.

Also to note.. i didnt get a 3D error this time. it just went black and cut out after about... 45 mins of playing GTA V

Also... For the first time in a year the color of the temp gauge on the CPU cooler changed from white to red... it only happened after the GPU crashed... So im not sure if the liquit cooler cut off? or the CPU spiked? but im not sure how that could be connected. Just laying it out there for everyone to know how crazy its acting.

The CPU worked perfectly with my old card (r5 270) and it seems it doesn't want to upgrade, but I do.