22 Replies Latest reply on Dec 29, 2015 10:56 AM by rabid

amd drivers lock up windows 10

bundy714

Ok....I'm super frustrated with AMD.  I was having no problems with my AMD 7950 running Windows 7.  Then I got a new SSD and two new hard drives, and did a clean installation of Windows 10 (not an upgrade).  Everything is fine with the Intel graphics from my i5 3570k.  But....when I try and load AMD drivers for my Radeon 7950....it fails, locking up my computer to the point where I have to do a hard reboot.  I've tried older drivers, the latest Crimson drivers, the latest beta drivers, Windows 10 drivers, Win 8.1 drivers, any AMD driver I could find..... and the ONLY AMD product I can successfully run is the AMD clean up utility, and it will only successfully run in safe mode.  Otherwise it locks up the computer too.   I also tried using all the drivers I could and installing them in safe mode.....still can't get a driver to finish installing before they lock up the PC.

A google search reveals people with all kinds of AMD cards having issues, but most seem to actually get their drivers installed and it locks up later.  I can never get an AMD driver installed, not even the one from Windows Update....none of them.  Do I have to buy an Nvidia card to run Windows 10?

This is beyond ridiculous.  Windows 10 has been out for a while now.  Are you guys going out of business?  Do you even care or try anymore?  Or have you just decided to cede the market to Nvidia.  If so, you should buy back this card that I spent $300 on.  Heck, I even have two of them, my son gave up on you guys and got an Nvidia and gave me his 7950.  I was thinking about trying to run crossfire, but glad I never tried it now.  You obviously don't support your products anymore.  And yeah.....I'm frustrated, and mad.  So excuse my tone.

• Re: amd drivers lock up windows 10
          h3llr3is3r

You use switchable graphics? I got Intel driver crash after installing Crimson driver under Windows 10 x64. I did hard reboot and now works fine. Can you detail a bit you problem?

bundy714

No, I don't use switchable graphics.....to tell the truth I'm not even sure why you ask as I'd have to have two working graphics options for it to be switchable.  As you know, the Intel CPU had built in graphics, so there is no getting around them being there.  I imagine that is what is rendering graphics now, since I can not load any AMD driver for my Radeon HD 7950 without locking up completely.  I've tried every "fix" that I've been able to find on the web, and there are a LOT of them since it seems this problem is widespread.  Once, just once, I got a driver to install to 80% before locking up, but normally it locks up long before that.  I do the safe mode AMD clean up utility between every attempt at loading a driver.  I've tried loading drivers in safe mode and normally.  Absolutely nothing works without locking up the computer.

Not even sure why I'm bothering to try and load different AMD drivers as Windows 10 update is like a dictator and will update to the graphics driver it wants to use without you having any say in the matter.  Either way, no AMD driver will install without locking up, so it's really a moot point as to which driver I'm trying to use.  I've tried all of them, even tried drivers written for 8.1 in desperation.

The more I read about Windows 10, I've about come to the conclusion that just maybe it isn't an AMD issue after all.  People are having all kinds of issues with Windows 10, even crazy stuff like an update causing their My Documents folder to be moved to Onedrive and they can't reverse it back to their computer, or removing their installed apps.  I'm starting to see why Microsoft is giving Windows 10 away for free to existing customers.....it's just not ready for prime time.  Nvidia users are having issues too.  I appears it's the luck of the draw if your Windows 10 works or not.  I appear to be among the unlucky.

My son, is happily running Windows 10.  His computer hardware is identical to mine in every way, except he has a Nvidia card and I'm using an AMD card.  Both of us did a clean Windows 10 installation that is legit and permanently activated.  I don't trust OS upgrades, too much can go wrong upgrading an operating system.

I don't even know who is to blame, AMD or MS.  I am thinking that with my high blood pressure and bad heart that healthwise, it may just be better for me to reinstall Windows 7 and give up on this frustrating boondoggle.  I'm going to give that some strong consideration today, because I really don't see any fix working.  I just wanted to have a new OS to play with, wanted to check out Cortana, and mostly I wanted to play Fallout 4 and avoid being stressed out, as I really don't need to be stressed out.

h3llr3is3r

Hi, I asked as you wrote that you tried the computer with integrated graphics, so your Intel vga is installed. If your Windows is Windows 10 Home, i would not bother to do anything because it is as you said, they took over all your settings/drivers/etc. I would suggest to be patient, as MS will figure out most of the Windows child sickness in time. But they need time. I do not know particularly what happens to your computer, lock happens but it is strange to do that every time. As long as i understood Radeon 7950 is good for "fullhd Fallout 4" experience, 2 of those cards are even better. Windows 10 support on dual cards are tricky.

h3llr3is3r

One thing i noticed, even for windows 10 it is correct, when you install any hardware, reboot to save the changes. SO Mainboard driver, reboot, vga, reboot, sound, reboot, network. reboot. Something like this. If you do 3-5 driver install then reboot there is a chance that windows forgets 2-3 driver setting changes.

h3llr3is3r

Can you write me in details your hardware?

h3llr3is3r

Dear Sir, can you detail for me your hardware? Please.

bundy714

Sorry to be so long getting back to you.  It's been busy around here, and this has stressed me out so much that I just needed to step away from it for a while. My blood pressure gets high enough without the additional stress.  I've never had this much problems with either Windows or AMD, and I've been working on and with PC's since the introduction of the personal computer....before Windows was even an option.

Yes....I'm old, and not used to failing at doing anything with Computers, either hardware troubleshooting or software....but this one seems to have stumped me.  And it's frustrating and humbling.

ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ATX Intel Motherboard

G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600

Intel i5-3570K Ivy Bridge 3.4GHz LGA 1155 Quad-Core w/Intel HD Graphics 4000

COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 EVO CPU cooler

GIGABYTE Radeon HD 7950 3GB

Rosewill BLACKHAWK Gaming ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

SanDisk Ultra II 480GB SSD

and two Toshiba DT01ACA300 3TB hard drives

h3llr3is3r

I tell you honestly what i think. If you have windows shut down when any driver tries to install, feels like your PSU is giving you good bye kisses. For 1X7950 plus system with 1 storage and usual cooler some people found out it is good to have 550W of psu. For 2x7950  750+ needs. In general not the total Wattage is the main measurement, the needed current on the additional 12 V rails. Any additional hardware needs additional power, like 2 hdd. As time goes by, so the system is not new the power requirements increases as the aging of electronic components and silicon as well. In your case if you have some friends with known good quality PSU around 1k W, i would give it a try with both cards in or smaller if it is only one card. (Also you can test with windows 8.1 and as i mentioned with switchable graphics, output connected to motherboard. If it crashes under load, using teh Amd card, then also turns back to PSU.) Usually if there is no output connected to the card directly the Amd cards sleep with 0.5 W power needs. When you install the driver as my experience goes the card is tested on highest clocks for a very short time, which can cause the PSU to shut down to save your system from faulty currents.

This is how i think. I suspect your system has around 3 year in it. These are my guess, anything beyond is over me. Beware in this forum but everywhere else bad multi gpu support mentioned with Windows 10 together.

bundy714

I appreciate your help, and yeah....my original power supply was getting old and was just recently replaced when Fallout 4 came out last month.  The original was a Thermaltake SMART Series SP-650W and it was about 3 years old.  The computer ran fine when just surfing the web, or playing older games....but I first started getting strange sudden reboots when The Witcher 3 came out.  Then it got worse when I got Fallout 4.  So I replaced it with a Corsair CX750 last month, and the rebooting stopped.  I had never had a power supply slowly die like that.  Normally, they either work, or they don't.  But the old Thermaltake seemed to run fine until you strained it with newer games like Witcher 3 and Fallout 4.  Older, less demanding games ran just fine.

Oh, and I'm only using one Radeon 7950, although I own two of them.  I've never actually tried using Crossfire, I was just was considering doing so maybe in the future.  My son gave me his 7950 when he upgraded to a Nvidia 970...that's why I have the spare 7950.   So....with a brand new Corsair CX750 power supply and only using one video card, I doubt it's a power issue.  The HD 7950 claims to only need a 550w power supply and I've got a new, supposedly reputable, Corsair CX750w.

h3llr3is3r

I got into a cloud now. No hardware issues. As long as we consider it. 750 W PSU should be fine. If you get reboots you have some system reports in Windows. That should tell you which part (driver) failed. I got one dying Mobility HD 4850 (undersized cooling and heavy gaming, problems after 2 years), and Nvidia 9600M gt (undersized cooling but very mild usage, problems after 4 years). They freeze/reboot under load. I could stabilize them with increased power and lower clocks. This is on the side of software bugs which cause reboots. If you open the Crimson or CCC, go to overclock, enable overclock and move the slide of GPU clocking to lower levels. Try to reduce with 25-50-75-100 Mhz. More then 100 Mhz not needed. This should stabilize the card. If it is hardware problem on GPU. As crimson fan profile error, select auto fan or put to 60%. Try to monitor the temperature.

rob909e

Wow, I have Almost the same PC as You except my mobo is a z77 extreme6 with a 3770k . I'm having almost the same issues as you.  Windows update is responsible If you go to settings/windows update/check update history  I found windows update is installing their version of CCC

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                                bizarro

Can you disable the onboard graphics in the bios?  A friend had a similar issue and this fixed it.  I am new here and have no experience with what you're going through.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                                    bundy714

Hmmm.....I'm going to check on this suggestion about turning off the onboard video.  I haven't tried that yet, and not even sure it's an option, since the video is built into the CPU instead of the Mother Board....but I'm sure going to check.

As for the other responses, I haven't had a rebooting issue since I got my new power supply, so that's not it.  And it's not because of Windows Update because I've tried it, and the latest crimson driver and the last 6 or so AMD drivers that I've been able to get my hands on, running the AMD cleanup utility between failed driver installation attempts.  ANY AMD driver locks up my computer....ANY and ALL of them.  Heck, even the AMD driver cleanup utility locks up my computer unless I run it in SAFE MODE.  And yes, I have tried installing all of those AMD drivers in Safe Mode too.......NONE of them will  install without locking up my PC.

And I never get an error message, or anything, the installation will start, get to 20 to 80% complete and the PC FREEZES....Hard.  CTL-ALT-DEL doesn't work, task manager can't be pulled up, nothing....frozen solid, ever time whenever I run anything put out by AMD.  (More than half the time, I seem to get frozen at 59%, but it has frozen as low as 20% installed, and as high as 80% installed)

rabid

Bundy,

I feel for ya, I have the same issue.

I have a similar setup.  Older z77 motherboard with i5-3570k cpu.  corsair tx650w psu.  ssd hard drive. 8gb ram.  I have an msi radeon r9 390.

I upgraded to win10 and it locks up the instant video card drivers install.  It doesn't matter if windows downloads the driver or I install an amd driver.  I tried a fresh install and same thing.

So I went back to windows 7 and it is doing it there now!!!  I have never had this issue before.  I swapped in my old HD 5750 card and now it is doing it!  I had a stable installation of Windows 7 for years with that card and had no issues when I upgraded it to the r9 390 to play Fallout 4 on ultra graphics.  But now I can't get past the windows logo on boot up.  It locks hard.  And it doesn't matter if windows uses the generic HD5700 driver or I use the amd catalyst or crimson driver.  These cards only work on the default vga driver now.

I'm posting this from the onboard intel graphics chip.  I wish I knew what changed from my old installation to the new one.  I hadn't touched any hardware or moved the pc when I installed windows 10.  I really don't think this is a hardware failure.  There might be a system conflict now.  How do we figure this out? 

tomtalk24

Noone want to see people getting stressed with computers. So if your still not having luck, or are about to throw the PC out of a Windows. You could save yourself the stress and install an older driver.

Videocards - ATI Catalyst Windows Vista | 7 | 8

Try 15.8 as I know in a fair few systems people are having problems with switchable GPUs in Crimson.