7 Replies Latest reply on Jan 10, 2016 9:05 AM by hardcoregames™

AMD RAM compatibility

hardcoregames™

I have a bunch of low cost DDR3 sticks, most are 2048MB. I also have a pair of G,SKill DDR3-2133 which I bought back in 2013 for the M5A99FX PRO R2.0

i had 2 sticks of DDR3 in my tray, that RAM was crap and the M5A99FX kept crashing, sent the memory back but never got my money back from the US vendor

So I spend more $ and got the 4096MB sticks from G.Skill that work fine

Since then I have accumulated more DDR3, all 2048MB capacity, I have also spend a lot of time with close study of the problems

Hardcore Games™: Counterfeit DDR3 Memory

I have been working on this problem for a long time, it clear there is a flood of bad memory.

• Re: AMD RAM compatibility
          techguy

You usually get what you pay for in life. If a deal seems too good to be true, it usually is. I've rarely had RAM issues with any of the name brand RAM suppliers. In the two cases that occurred over the past 20 years, the RAM maker replaced the RAM without question. You might pay a few dollars more for legitimate RAM, but it's a critically important foundation of any PC. IME it's worth buying quality RAM instead of suffering with an unreliable PC.

Supplier's on Ebay or any other website can be good or bad. You have little to no recourse with many of these purveyors of goods so it's smart to perform due diligence before spending your money. Many PC enthusiasts even buy their hardware locally from stores where they can get good service and the product warranty is properly honored.

hardcoregames™

I am not of unlimited nominal spending power, so I try to save a peso here and there

eBay has refunded for the fake DDR3-1600 so this leaves the DDR3-1066 to go

I am aware of a factory that Micron uses that cranks out 120,000 wafers a month, so moving to 450mm wafers can help with the production

I have noticed that about 10% of DDR3 out there is counterfeit, which suggests a large scale operation

techguy

From what you've indicated you've purchased a selection of RAM. IMO you'd have been better off to just buy a couple name brand DIMMs with a guarantee and be done with it. Most people don't desire to experiment with lots of DIMMs trying to find ones that will work when most all name brand DIMM mfgs. sell inexpensive, basic DDR3 RAM suitable for all PCs. There is no need to buy expensive RAM to get quality and reliability. You are fortunate to have received a refund on the fake RAM.

hardcoregames™

if the memory had proper serial presence tables the RAM would be fine, instead its a mangled mess which is why it does not work right

SPD is a bit encoded bytes so it does require some talent to make the BIOS capable of reading the tables, not impossible but it's tricky

given the SPD is flash memory, it can be changed and corrected, so what is up with the memory, 2 sticks i have were set to 1600 but the RAM does not have a table for that speed so a BIOS cannot handle it

techguy

The data stored in the SPD does not prevent the DIMM from running at other frequencies or latencies. The SPD data is there to provide the BIOS with initial DIMM setting choices for cold boot. The SPD data is known good settings for that DIMM only but there can be other settings that will also work. These optional settings would need to be set manually.

Most DDR3 RAM originates from a standard process. Once a DIMM is finished it is then tested and speed binned. The better quality DIMMs are capable of running at higher frequency or tighter latencies, much like CPUs are speed binned. What the original DIMM maker programs into the SPD is what has been determined to function properly with that specific DIMM. When you use two of the same DIMMs with the same specs in a dual channel system, it often requires slightly slower timings for the CPU to access all data cells in the dual RAM channels. As such most RAM purveyors sell "matched" sets of DIMMs that have been tested to perform reliably with the timings and frequency specified in the SPD. Counterfeiter's can buy lower frequency DIMMs and mark them as a higher frequency DIMM but as you have learned these DIMMs will not often run reliably at the advertised higher frequency or the specified timings.

Changing the SPD data settings will not necessarily make the DIMMs perform at a higher frequency or at tighter latencies than the original SPD data which is based on DIMM testing before shipment.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                              hardcoregames™

One set of sticks I have are Micron DDR3-1333 that were binned. Somebody changed the manufacturer to Kingston and then set the memory to DDR3-1066. That is counterfeiting.

Another set of sticks are Hynix DDR3-1333 that were binned. Somebody changed the manufacturer to Kingston and then set the memory to DDR3-1600 which does not work at all. That is also counterfeit.

None of the 4 sticks work without hardware reserved memory which suggest these are outright rejects that somebody managed to steal and then counterfeit.