• R9 390 GAMING 8G 8GB

Current Driver

Previously Used Drivers
      • AMD Radeon Software Crimson Edition Display Driver version 15.30.1025

• AMD Radeon Software Crimson Edition 15.11.1 Update

Operating System

• Windows 7 x64

Issue Details

While playing DiRT Rally, the game will stutter. Regardless of what video settings are set (Ultra/High/Medium/Lowest) these stutters occur. These stutters seem to be localized to the game. No other games seem to be afflicted by whatever the issue is. See the link below for a quick video recording of the problem. Video was shot using LOWEST graphic settings.

http://tinypic.com/player.php?v=2dbuy5s&s=9#.Vm8uZEorKUk

Applications and Games

• DiRT Rally v1.0

CPU Details

• Intel i7-3770K - Stock Speed

Display Device(s) and Connection(s) Used

• ASUS VG278HE 2 - DL-DVI
      • BenQ GL2760H 27 - DVI
      • Avermedia U3 Capture Card - HDMI

The Avermedia U3 is actually physically attached to a dedicated encoding machine used for encoding my live stream. But it technically is also a display device on this gaming machine, so I listed it.

Motherboard or System Make & Model

• Asus P8Z77 V-Pro

Motherboard BIOS Version

• P8Z77-V PRO BIOS 2104

System Memory Type & Amount

• 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws 1600 DDR3

Power Supply

• EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G2 80+ GOLD

Other Information

I upgraded to the R9 390 from an NVIDIA GTX 770 a few months ago. The 770 had zero issues running the game, or any games I play for that matter. I upgraded to the R9 390 to give myself a little "future-proofing" and threw the 770 in my encoding machine. I did uninstall the NVIDIA drivers and did a driver sweep to remove any remnants prior to installing the AMD card, so there will be no conflicts there. I just recently started trying to play DiRT Rally again and ran into this issue. The only changes since flawless gameplay and stuttering is the video card change.

I'm not upset or hostile about it, I am simply trying to get it sorted out. This isn't the first issue I've come across with the 390 since upgrading to it. The Rainbow Six: Siege beta just wouldn't run on the 390 with the drivers available at the time. It would crash out in about three seconds of starting a game. The Overwatch beta client would also randomly crash saying Rendering Device Failure. (Upgrading to the beta AMD drivers that were available at that time fixed that issue and it ran flawlessly after that.)

I am posting this at the behest of Matt (@TheMattB81 on Twitter) who is a Technical Support Engineer.

Thank you for your time,

TimbTV

• Re: Stuttering Issue with DiRT Rally and R9 390
          amdmatt

What happens if you try disconnecting the Avermedia U3 Capture Card and the second display. Does the stuttering still occur when playing Dirt Rally?

Can you try playing the game in Windowed mode with Task Manager open and see if any application causes a spike in CPU usage or anything when that stutter occurs?

timbtv

First off, my apologies for the delayed response. Work, streaming obligations, holidays have kept me pretty busy.

Disconnected the Avermedia and the secondary monitor. Stuttering is still there. Nothing in taskmgr showing anything alarming. CPU usage rarely crests 45%. RAM usage ~31% with DiRT using about 1 gig.

I have noticed that I'm actually getting the stuttering while in the menus as well. While navigating the menus, it will look as if the display has frozen while I'm still able to move selections and hear the menu sounds and selection sound.

I went one step further and ran DDU (Device Driver Uninstaller) after uninstalling everything I had regarding display drivers. Reinstalled the latest AMD package, which is back to the Crimson package. Stutter remains. I then deleted all the config files for the game on steam and verified the game cache to redownload the default configs. No change there either. I have no issues at all in any other applications/games. This seems to be directly related to DiRT Rally.

Edit: Messing around with things right now. I started a race and went very slow. Hit a stutter. Reversed back to the start line. Started driving again. It suttered again at roughly the same spot on the track. That's a bit interesting.

amdmatt

timbtv

I'm going to try a reinstall of the game. The fact that the stutter happens at roughly the same spot regardless of speed makes me think there might be some corruption from something.

amdmatt

Unfortunately I am not able to produce the stuttering you report on any of my systems. I would consider trying a fresh installation of Windows and installing nothing but the game and the latest AMD Catalyst 15.11.1 Beta drivers. Do not install any other updates or software other than the game and AMD drivers. If that works without stuttering, you can consider upgrading to the latest 16.1 Hotfix drivers.

1 of 1 people found this helpful