2 Replies Latest reply on Dec 15, 2015 12:47 PM by bmauss

Upgraded from A6->A8 and now things are slower...and not working

bmauss

About 2 months ago, I upgraded my computer (an HP Pavilion model P7-1154) APU processor from an A6-3600 with Radeon HD 6530D to an A8-3870K w/ Radeon HD 6550 (this was literally the highest my motherboard could upgrade to).  It was not on HP's list of "compatible upgrades", but the socket type was correct and I don't trust HP's website because the last time I got a BIOS update from their website, it rendered my computer inoperable and I had to get the motherboard replaced.  Needless to say, I decided to give it a shot since it fit the correct socket, and I had to upgrade my processing speed to at least 3.0 to get some (low end) recording equipment to work. 

I looked up how to install the new APU and made sure I was prepared.  I installed the APU without any problems, closed it up and turned it on.  It took a while, but eventually computer recognized that there was new hardware and installed some stock display drivers.  Then I ran the Catalyst Suite and installed the latest drivers. After that, everything was smooth sailing.  It seemed to be working faster and better than the A6, as to be expected, and my recording equipment was working.  Then a few weeks passed and things started acting up.  At first, Microsoft products like Skype wouldn't run, or uninstall.  In fact, all attempts to perform a re-installation (including downloading the setup.exe file would be set as a background task with 0% of the CPU allocated to it.  I decided to run CCleaner and found a ton of corrupted registry keys.  I cleaned them up and everything seemed fine.  Then Zune wouldn't work. Checked for corrupt registry and there they were.  All the while, things seemed to be slowing down.  Multitasking on the internet became more labored as something as simple as moving a tab to open a second window while watching Netflix (something done with ease with the A6) would nearly crash the web browser (FireFox).  Even when I hit the Windows icon in order to shut down or look for a program, it will take 3-5 seconds for it to respond (if it does).

I have looked up my drivers and while the display drivers are up-to-date, the processor drivers seem out of date to me.  They date back to 4/21/2009 which sounds like stock drivers from the factory.  Windows says that they are up-to-date, but Windows also tells me to install graphics drivers from 2011.  So my question is: What is causing registry keys to become corrupted and what is slowing down my computer so much?  Did I install the APU correctly, by which I mean download the drivers AFTER installation of the APU?  Are my Processor drivers out of date and,if so, will downloading the Chipset drivers for the APU help?

Here are the specs:

HP Pavilion Model P7-1154

Windows 10 Home Edition 64-bit

AMD A8-3870k w/ Radeon 6550D

Thanks!

• Re: Upgraded from A6->A8 and now things are slower...and not working
          black_zion

The A6 is a 65w APU while the A8 is a 100w APU. You can't just stick it into any motherboard and it will work, it has to support 100w APUs else you will be experiencing problems. You can replace the motherboard, but that's going to trigger Windows 10's piracy protection (and I'm surprised the APU switch didn't), but that's your only option aside from going back to the A6.

• Re: Upgraded from A6->A8 and now things are slower...and not working
              bmauss

Thanks for that!  I didn't think about the motherboard's ability to support the APU's power.  I'll be sure to keep that in mind in the future.  However, after you brought this up, I checked my motherboard's specs and it can support 65W-100W (They say processor dependent, so I am taking your input seriously).  So before I put this matter to bed, let's say that my APU is compatible, is there any other possible reason that my computer would become slower and cause some of these issues?  Just to cover all my bases before I reinstall my A6.  Did I follow the procedure for installing the processor? I followed every step in the video that AMD provides, used only a rice-grain size of thermal paste as suggested, and kept myself grounded with an anti-static wrist strap.  But were there any preliminary steps dealing with drivers that I should have done first?  Do I just need to do a clean installation of the current drivers?  Would the optional chipset drivers help in anyway?