0 Replies Latest reply on Dec 13, 2015 6:31 PM by dryden22

How can I boot from AMD RAID 10 in Linux?

dryden22

I don't fully remember.

But I know I can *install* OpenSUSE 13.2 on a AMD RAID 10, I just cannot successfully boot from it. I don't know where it halted. I believe it got past the initial boot stage; it must have been loading the initrd, but it didn't get very far.

By contrast, I don't think Kubuntu was capable of installing on it at all.

I'm stuck with a bit of a problem because my VirtualBox solution does not run well under Windows 10 currently, it freezes while running Ubuntu 15.10 x64.

That means the suboptimal solution for me is to run Linux natively, but that does not bode well because I cannot boot from my raid.

That means my only solution currently is to either:

- turn my RAID 10 into a RAID 0 and that leaves 2 disks free, I can then install a software RAID on it (mdraid) but since the Ubuntu installer does not support any raid configuration, it will cost me another 10 hours to find out how to successfully do it. Perchance the Ubuntu Server text-mode installer does support it. Then I'll have 2x RAID 0, one by AMD and one by Linux. But I prefer not to because it complicates matters greatly and my performance will be less than a real RAID 10. I just need Linux to organize my files and bring everything up to date. That is why virtualisation is the real thing I want.

- use a different virtualizer. I have no experience with VMWare yet but I'd have to use that. I'd rather not.....

So the question here is:

Does anyone know how to boot LInux off of a AMD raid?

Has anyone successfully installed their Linux on AMD raid?

Is Grub actually presented with one logical disk?

Or does it have the drivers? Grub modules are usually loaded off a boot partition.

A different solution is to create an AMD mirror raid (raid 1) at the beginning for boot and possibly root as well. Root shouldn't be necessary. I guess I can somehow figure that out. But since these disks are huge, I could easily create a 10GB mirror raId on the first two disks. If the raid doesn't function, the individual disks still do. That would require me to reinstall Windows after.

Booting into a different system (like, the secondary) would require me to use the F8 boot key constantly. Which is rather troublesome. But I hate rebooting anyway.

Linux would then run on a 2-disk RAID 1 array probably. Utilizing partitions on the big RAID 10 wouldn't really be smart. I would create a second 10GB raid 1 or perhaps a 20GB raid 0 for some data allowance. All rather tricky. If the arrays are not correctly assembled, things go wrong.

Who knows about booting from raid?