4 Replies Latest reply on Dec 15, 2015 12:01 PM by techguy

Windows 10 and AMD A10-8700p

vishalsngh

Hi

I have Windows 10 running on my HP Pavilion AMD A10-8700P. Strangely, even though the A10 is Quad Core, the WIndows Task manager shows only 2 cores and 4 virtual threads, instead of 4 cores.

Is this a known issue?

Thx

• Re: Windows 10 and AMD A10-8700p
          amdmatt

Use CPU-Z to read how many CPU Cores your A10-8700P has, Windows reads it wrong.

c1.png

If my post was correct and or helpful, please make sure to mark it as such in order to help others with similar questions.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              vishalsngh

Hi

already did that, i see 4 cores.But does seeing 4 virtual threads instead of 4 full cores compromises performance??  Strangely, my Desktpo which has AMD3850 shows 4 cores and 4 threads correctly. Is this some issue with AMD Laptop CPUs?

amdmatt

No it does not compromise performance, Windows just reads it wrong.

techguy

I'd contact HP support and see if your laptop PC needs a BIOS update or if the issue is truly a Win10 O/S issue. You obviously can also post on the Windows help forums to see if other HP laptop customers are experiencing the same issue. There should be no issues with a BIOS or O/S properly identifying any AMD processor as long as the processor was available at the time the BIOS and O/S were created. Win10 has had it's fair share of issues and updates so this might be the root cause of the issue. Any time that a newer CPU/APU is released after a BIOS or O/S is created, the BIOS and/or O/S need to be updated to properly identify the new processor and configure it properly. Aftermarket PC hardware performance monitoring applets also need regular updates to properly identify newer processors.