7 Replies Latest reply on Jun 14, 2016 9:09 AM by laionidas

Black textures buggy graphics with R5 Graphics

tobore22@gmail.com

I'm having a problem with black textures and buggy/missing graphics in games that I play with the AMD Radeon R5 Graphics card. Prime example is Path of Exile: PoE Bug - Album on Imgur like that. Is there a fix for this or am I out of luck?

• Re: Black textures buggy graphics with R5 Graphics
          amdmatt

Has this ever worked correctly? If so, what has changed?

What AMD drivers are you using?

Does the issue occur using different drivers?

What are your full system specs and OS details?

laionidas

Hi Matt,

Actually I'm having the same problem, so I'm reviving this thread as it seems to be the most recent on the issue. It occurs in multiple games which otherwise runs perfectly fine, and for which my system's specifications easily surpass both the minimum and recommended specifications. Some objects have black, partially black/broken or alltogether missing textures. It does not occur all the time, when it does happen, it happens to different objects every time in the same games (e.g. one time it may be quest markers, the other time it may be chests or weapons). Also, other games show blank or low resolution  textures on boot, at the start of each session, but these textures might pop up after half a minute or so.

My system's specifications are:

• Lenovo Thinkpad E555 Laptop (from October 2015)
              • 4GB RAM
              • AMD A8-7100 'Kaveri' with integrated R5 graphics
              • Windows 10 Pro 64-bits
              • Latest AMD Crimson drivers, allready tried reverting back to Catalyst to see whether that improved performance, but it didn't

There are no known heating issues. Laptop feels cool even on maximum load. Despite that it is always on a fan assisted laptop cooler (because I had heating issues with my previous laptop).

Did the issue ever not occur? Hard to say, as I haven't had this laptop for that long, but I feel I had less issues pre Crimson release. That's also why I tried reverting to Catalyst, but like I said, that didn't solve the issue at all. However, Catalyst drivers have ofcourse been updated roughly around the same time as the Crimson release, so older Catalyst builds might not have had this problem.

I'd be interested to see what you think about this. I first assumed it had to do with some games' optimisation issues, but the fact that it seems to prevail for many games, and friend running the same games do not have these issues, made me suspect otherwise.

Kind regards,

amdmatt

Try using Catalyst 15.7.1 WHQL to see if the same issue occurs. If it does not, or if this is the only game producing these artifacts it could be a driver bug. You can create a driver bug report here.

laionidas

Hi Matt,

Thanks for your reply. I've just installed the 'new' drivers, and at first glance they do seem to solve some of the artifact issues. I don't know for sure yet, so I'll stick with the 15.7.1 drivers for a while to see what happens or does not happen, and will keep you posted.

Overall though I feel the whole thing is currently underperforming, both with 15.7.1 Catlyst drivers as well as Crimson drivers. There some games than run noticably better on my old first gen i3 laptop with Mobility Radeon HD 5000 series. Now that was a fairly decent laptop at the time, and it should to some extend be able to rival the Thinkpad, but I find it somewhat odd that it would surpass it, while running on the same OS with the same drivers. I'm starting to suspect that it has to do with how the APU allocates memory to its graphics component. Do you have any other ideas on how I might increase its performance?

Kind regards,

amdmatt

It should offer similar performance to the Core i3-4010U. It might be slower in single threaded applications which require more IPC grunt, but should be faster in games that use more than one or two threads for CPU work.

I doubt it has anything to do with the memory allocation to be honest. If you want to improve performance i would recommend speaking to the laptop manufacturer and asking for faster memory to be fitted which will improve the graphics performance of the APU.

laionidas

Hmmm,.. that makes sense. I can pretty much fit the extra RAM myself. The slots are easily accessible. On the long run, I'd probably need an SSD to speed up things too, but as of yet I find them too expensive compared to what I paid for this laptop.

On the other hand, there is definitely something off with the Crimson drivers. I tried playing with Catalyst 15.7.1 WHQL for a few weeks and had no genuine problems. Overall performance was not much better though, and combined with what you said, I concluded it must have to do with some specific games after all. So, I re-upgraded to the latest Crimson drivers: BAM! artifacts back in games that ran smoothly for the last few weeks with 15.7.1, same overall performance but random noticeable FPS drops and rubberbanding. Tomorrow, I'll see if I can file a driver bug report as you suggested. Then I'll re-revert to 15.7.1 for the time being. Really curious though, if there is a particular feature in Crimson that's causing this. I always keep everything on default, so it would have to be something that is enabled standard.

laionidas

Been a while, and I've experimented with both the new Crimson Beta drivers, as with 16.3.2 WHQL. Initially the Beta drivers gave some decent results, as long as I turned off stuff like "morphological filtering". However, newer beta drivers, as well as 16.3.2 WHQL only made problems worse. Yesterday or the day before I was playing Red Orchestra 2/Rising Storm, which I only acquired recently. I was running it on the lowest possible settings, and it ran like a charm. After playing for a while though, I was faced with massive artifacting. This time I also took some screenshots:

20160612212259_1.jpg20160612212927_1.jpg20160612212934_1.jpg

The above does make it sound like a heating issue, but that in itself would be odd. On the lowest possible settings, at a native 1366x768 resolution, with an older game, with no overclocking, on an additional fan assisted laptop cooler, in Holland (and not the Sahara), it simply should not have heating issues. Now I'm back AGAIN to 15.7.1 WHQL, to see how that holds up.

That said, I'm starting to wonder whether there might be something wrong hardware wise, and whether the infamous first edition Crimson drivers back in November might have caused some permanent damage, since that's also when the problems started. Would that be a possibility on vanilla APU (no modified hardware OR software)?