6 Replies Latest reply on Dec 16, 2015 12:35 PM by tomtalk24

raidxpert media patrol runs incredibly slow.

rickityrickets@gmail.com

I have 880g chipset on Gigabyte MB controlling 5 1 tb Western Digital SATA II drives in RAID 10 with hot spare configuration.  Media patrol takes 10 full days to complete one cycle on all 5 drives. If this is normal, WHY?  If not, what can I do to get more reasonable performance?

• Re: raidxpert media patrol runs incredibly slow.
          tomtalk24

Are the drives new? Is the RAID setup new? I cant quite remember but will it not stop on a error and not proceed unless its fixed? After the 10 days what's the log like?

I thought 10 only worked on 2 sets of pairs or more, so 4, 8, 12, 16?  Its been a while, only raid I use now is RedHats software LVM.

rickityrickets@gmail.com

Thanks for the thoughts.

I don't think it relates to drive age.  They range from 1 to 5 years due to a couple of warranty replacements.  Problem has persisted ever since I built the system 5 years ago.  Subjectively, it seems to be getting worse - it used to run in about 5 days (still awful).  But I can't guarantee that some other variable isn't affecting that.  In any event, at 3 Gbit/sec, it ought to read all 5 TB in less than 5 hours.  So it just doesn't make sense to take 5 days or 10 days to complete a media patrol, even if it is reading and rewriting every byte several times.

The Windows log doesn't show anything because the media scan is done in firmware in the controller.  I did think about the controller having to interrupt the scan to fulfill OS disk requests.  So I disabled my system scanner, disconnected from the LAN, and left the system completely idle for several days - no change.  Still slow as pushing molasses thru a micron filter.

BTW, you're right about RAID 10 configuration - there are 4 drives active in the array and one hot spare.

tomtalk24

I toyed with hardware back in the Athlon days, and since then its just been Linux software lvms for date servers. Whats the chances you could re build the array? Backing it up and wiping the lot? I could imagine its a pain and if the data’s valuable possibly risky. Cant think of a practical way of doing it unless you have 5TBs of disks hanging around, extreme compression.

I know AMD support are good (in the sense they wont just say talk to WD) so might be worth opening a support ticket. Tbh with the normal email every 2 days forth and back, AMD support might have a solution by the time you’ve done another scan

rickityrickets@gmail.com

Not really. I contacted AMD support and got an email back that seemed like they hadn't really read my question very carefully. They seemed to think I was complaining about the RAID performance itself instead of just the media patrol function.  They want me to rebuild and reinitialize the entire array, which is, of course, destructive.  Even if I thought this would fix the problem, it just isn't worth the effort to restore everything from backup. So I'm just going to quit using that function. In 5 years and through 3 drive failures, I've never had a single bad sector mapped.

Thanks for your help anyway