AnsweredAssumed Answered

AMD driver crash on Windows 10, does not recover. Stuck in black screen with mouse cursor visible.

Question asked by wildeyesdude on Dec 11, 2015
Latest reply on Dec 14, 2015 by amdmatt

Hi!

I'm having a huge problem with the drivers for my Asus 290x DirectCU II OC 4GB, wich i'm running in SLI. Everytime i start a game i get everything from 20 min to 4 hours of gameplay before the screen flickers and goes black. Usually the screen would recover, but lately it just stays black. The weird thing is that Windows 10 keeps running in the background with the mouse displaying on screen, music running etc. I try opening the task manager, quitting the game, ALT + TAB but nothing works. So the only choice is to restart the computer. The event log only states that the driver crashed and then recovered, i really don't get this issue.

My graphic cards are watercooled, so i know it's not a heating issue. I can run stability tests for hours without hickups. I have stopped overclocking them, but that didn't solve my issue. I even cranked down my CPU overclock, didn't solve it either. I've tried with different drivers, but i never get any stability in game. I've always had driver issues with these cards since i bought them and the problem get's kinda fixed, but then goes back to not working in the next driver update.

I've sent numerous error reports to AMD over the years, but they've still not fixed my problem. Does anyone have a solution for this, because i don't think AMD really cares about it anymore. Next upgrade will definitely be a NVIDIA card...

Setup:

2x Asus R9 290x DirectCU II OC 4GB Watercooled (Radeon Settings Version 2015.1129.1552.28517 / Driver Packaging Version 15.30.1025.1001-151129a-297019E)

Intel core i5-4670K 3,4GHz (Overclocked to 4,6GHz)

MSI Z87-G45 Gaming ATX motherboard 

Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB DDR3 PC3-15000 1866MHz CL9

2x Samsung 840 EVO Series SSD 250GB

Windows 10 EDU edition

Kind regards,

Adam Sears

Outcomes