1 Reply Latest reply on Dec 11, 2015 5:00 AM by tomtalk24

Can I use two different video cards simultaneously?

ap83

I have an Asus 6870 DirectCU which is starting to show its age.  I'm looking to upgrade to a new card (a 270, 290, or something in that neighborhood), but I'm wondering if I would be able to use it simultaneously with the old card.  They wouldn't be linked in Crossfire as I'm not sure that's possible.  Would it work?  If so, I have a few other questions.

I'd want to run 3 monitors off of this setup, so would I be able to use Eyefinity with this?  How would this setup look in the AMD settings application?  And how would it perform under a heavy load like a modern game?   Would I only be able to run the heavy stuff on the displays connected to the new card, or would all 3 display connections perform at the same level?

The system is a i5 2500k on an Asus P8Z68-V LE motherboard.  Thanks in advance.

• Re: Can I use two different video cards simultaneously?
          tomtalk24

AMD CrossFire™ Compatibility Chart

This should explain Crossfire.

As for Crossfire in theory it doubles the performance, So with 3 screens in tri Crossfire you would have equivalent of 1 per screen. You will need to take into account your PCIe bus, if you go for newer Crossfire GPUs and your happy with your CPU you'll need to take that and the rest of your system into account. The API in use and its overheads. Games are generally made to run at "ultra" more thinking about CPU bottleneck etc.

Newer Crossfire cards use the PCIe 3.0 bus. Power supply need to be thought about. Monitor what your system is doing in 3DMark FireStrike Ultra, this runs in 4k and will pinpoint where your system may be lacking if it is.

I would recommend an x2 card, 2 chips on one. It saves messing about, 2 power cables as before.  There are reports the Fury x2 will be out next year, have a Google on it it might be a worthwhile upgrade providing the price is right. Will last a good many years.