6 Replies Latest reply on Dec 10, 2015 4:59 PM by t77chevy

WHY DOES FX9590 MULTIPLIER CHANGE

shinkyou

I have built a ASUS Sabretooth FX990 r2.0 with a FX9590 CPU, and have upgraded all components to accomodate (1050W gold rated 8- plus PSU, Corsair H100i water cooling system, G.Skill ARES DDR3 1866)

But am encountering some odd performance issues. My CPU-Z ID readings show the primary core multiplier to be floating between 7 and 25, with a corresponding clock of between 1400-5000 MHz. Is this normal? I would expect to see a minimum of 4.7GHz as this is the given factory speed even with turbo core disabled. The previous CPU was a Phenom II X4 975 BE which delivered a solid 3.6GHz consistently.

One other thing, the memory still will not stable OC to the 1866 speed as described despite the upgrades.

Please advise if I am missing something obvious

• Re: WHY DOES FX9590 MULTIPLIER CHANGE
          tomtalk24

This is in the wrong section, on the left of the Support Forums page, click AMD CPU.

But anyway, it should do this yes. If you want it to stay at 4.7ghz then turn off AMD Cool and Quiet in the bios. It is probably set to auto or enabled.

I'm not sure why you want it off though, even with a H100i you'll just be using more power on every core when say browsing. Would be like having your car at 7000rpm while at the lights. If your doing something that uses 6/8 cores, the 2 idle cores cant clock down either. And with that wattage it would be a good idea to give your mobo a break.

So cool and quiet is what's doing it.

shinkyou

Apologies for finding the wrong section but thanks for clearing that up for me.

I know it seems excessive power consumption, but the repeated drops were visibly edging framerates down.

Do you know if there is a method of controlling cool 'n quiet from within windows (the default setting is switched by CPU which will still drop under load, thus the assumption  is that this BIOS setting is NOT intelligent) or do I have to drop to BIOS everytime I revert to normal desktop usage should I want to conserve energy and rest the poor motherboard?

Sent from my Windows Phone

tomtalk24

You have a Sabertooth, I have a formula Z, with mine I have a button on the mobo called "Direct Key" and a 2 pin connector called Direct Connector (DRCT). It can be setup so when you press it the BIOS loads a profile, press it again and it goes back. Its mainly for on off overclocking. You can use the DRCT connector and plug in say your reset switch. Our mobo's are both by Asus, so should have something similar.

The idea in this case would be to connect your (hopefully) not needed reset switch to the DRCT connector, setup a C&Q profile as 2, no C&Q as 1. Setup the BIOS to use this function. Then when you hit reset you get a convenient way of turning it on and off. Along with other power saving functions is need be.

I don't know of anyway now, in the old days I would use AMD Overdrive, it had some option to turn off everything but was fairly unstable.

I will have a check now what features you have. Might need to get your manual out

tomtalk24

Perfect, page 1-6 has a map for your mobo. Check out item 11 (the button) and 9 (the connector). You'll have to go to each of them linked pages to read how to set it up.

If the Dog ate it.

If you need any more help of have any Qs let me know.

T

EDIT:

No sorry, its the Go Button that can switch profiles. No external connector for that, annoying.

The next best thing will be to use Windows Power Plans, you will need to test if they work for you or not. So turn on C&Q in the BIOS. Open control panel, create a shortcut of Power Options. Then in Power option click > Change Plan Settings (Balanced) > advanced > Processor Power Management > Minimum = 100%

Power.PNG

Setup the plan Power Saving for films/browsing/idle or what have you. So minimal = 5% or whatever.

Power Low.PNG

This could be what your after. Never done it like that but might now myself. I should point out for my pride dignity I overclock with the bus clock so it shows up wrong in windows

Hope this helps, and thanks as I have never thought about doing the before. Not sure why, makes much more sense.

EDIT2:

After messing about with Group Policy editors to force the batter icon in my notification area for quick switching of power plans, I gave up. But found this that does the same job. So if you find setting up power plans for full clock/multiplier and low powered operation works well for you then this will help switching between them easier.

Note.png

t77chevy

if you run a cpu benchmark like cinebench with any preferred monitoring software open you'll notice the clocks slowly dropping on the cpu , this happens as that mobo vrm for the cpu can not handle the load that cpu pulls under full load for any period of time . hwinfo64 will display the cpu vrm temps to see this happen in real time .

the easiest fix is adding a fan blowing fresh air to the vrm on that mobo , and ideally for the 9590 you really want a mobo like the formula z or what I personally use the asrock 990fx extreme 9 as it has a 12 x 2 power phase that easily handles the 9590 .