3 Replies Latest reply on Dec 21, 2015 8:52 PM by noelc

Desktop color management in Crimson [qa report]

fenrysk

I'm running a gigabyte R9 380 (yay black friday/cyber monday deals)

Crimson Edition

Driver Packaging Version

15.30.1025.1001-151129a-297019E

on Win10 x64.

I recently upgraded to the R9 380 from dual 6850s, and thus opted to give Crimson a try, up from Catalyst.

One of the main reasons I always opt for Radeon chips is because of the desktop color management controls (I'm a digital artist, this is important to the trade).

Crimson still relies on the CCC.exe for it's color management, and even though I save the color settings, these settings are not applied on boot as they did in Catalyst.

"Display Color" settings under individual monitor drop-down menus are preserved, but "Desktop Color" is only applied when CCC.exe is ran (ie, manually accessing Radeon Additional Settings from right-clicking at the desktop). 

Right now I've manually put CCC.exe into the startup folder and in the startup registry as a work-around (or sometimes just manually open the .exe), but hopefully this will be fixed in the next release (or just a total overhaul to move all remaining elements of CCC.exe over to Crimson).

• Re: Desktop color management in Crimson [qa report]
          amdmatt

That does sound like a bug, please report it here along with your findings. Nonetheless I'm glad to see you were able to find a workaround.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            noelc

Thank you for testing and reporting this, , and for replying in my thread as well.  You and I appear to have similar requirements, and it's a shame that preset management and auto-load functionality has been reduced to an "additional settings" status by the newest driver package.  AMD needs to know that there ARE people out there using ATI cards for important work, not just gaming.

Though I don't personally use Standby, I do hope that AMD will correct the issue with the preset not auto-loading after Standby for you and others, and will ultimately make the preset management / auto-load into a full-fledged part of the new Crimson control panel.  Perhaps I'll try the Crimson software if they fix that.  For now I'm staying on 15.9.1, which is utterly stable and performs well.

I'm a bit disappointed that this information was impossible to come by until someone braved the waters and actually tried it - and thank you again for being that person, .

-Noel

noelc

By the way, fenrysk, this Batch file works if you run it at logon (e.g., from a shortcut in your Startup folder, run minimized).  I wouldn't say it's rock solid, since it seems to need the multiple runs in order to work.  But it DOES work for me.

Obviously, change the string "Noels sRGB" to your preferred preset.

:!+=============================================================================

:!

:! Name:        Load Initial Monitor Calibration

:! Type:        User Command Task

:! Language:    MS-DOS Batch

:! Index:       Invokes ATI commands to load initial monitor calibration.

:! Function:

:!      Invokes ATI commands to load initial monitor calibration.

:!      Needed by Radeon drivers version 12.14 and newer.

:!-=============================================================================

:!  Start of process.

@ECHO OFF

:!  Seems to be needed twice with a bit of a delay.

"C:\Program Files (x86)\AMD\CNext\CCCSlim\CLI.exe" Start Load profilename="Noels sRGB"

SLEEP 3

"C:\Program Files (x86)\AMD\CNext\CCCSlim\CLI.exe" Start Load profilename="Noels sRGB"

SLEEP 3

TASKKILL /IM CCC.exe

SLEEP 3

TASKKILL /IM CCC.exe

SLEEP 3

TASKKILL /F /T /IM CCC.exe

SLEEP 3

TASKKILL /F /T /IM CCC.exe

:!==============================================================================

:!  End of file.

:!==============================================================================

-Noel