15 Replies Latest reply on Dec 8, 2015 1:42 PM by pag

amd radeon hd 6630m

pag

Hi upgraded my sony vaio vpcca2c5e that has a amd radeon hd 6630m graphics to windows 10... but windows updates it to 7400 which doesn't work... I downloaded "Radeon-Software-Crimson-Edition-15.11.1-Beta-64Bit-Win10-Win8.1-Win7-Nov30" from the here and it still doesn't work...

• Re: amd radeon hd 6630m
          tomtalk24

Hi,

Please run a full Clean Install, this will remove any trace of AMD that Windows has kindly messed up and will install the latest AMD drivers. When you download the latest drivers use the Manually select your driver as your GPU is now in legacy status.

Let us know how you got on.

pag

Hi thanks for the response but what you are asking me to do I have done 3 times already with no luck.....its after I have tried with the amd install windows constantly  downloads the 7400 driver via windows update..because when I first install windows the first thing I do is install am and it's 7400 driver it installs. So I u install and from there windows keep installing it bk via windows up cheers

Sent from my T-Mobile 4G LTE Device

amdmatt

Switchable graphics functionality is not present in the Crimson feature list yet. Roll back to the manufacturer provided AMD graphics drivers to regain full functionality.

pag

So download the driver from the sony website which will b the windows 7, 8 an 8.1 driver?. Ps wat is switchable graphics funtionality..?

tomtalk24

How to prevent Windows 10 from updating/downgrading graphics drivers automatically

This should stop Windows from interfering.

What OS came with your computer? If Sony hasn't updated its driver list you might have to contact Sony, I'm not sure why they haven't bothered keeping your computer driver up to date on their website. Not good on their part. You may be able to download the older Catalyst but you will be running with outdated drivers, not good either.

Switchable graphics is a way of using the lower powered but much slower integrated GPU for desktop and surfing, then switching to your more power hungry but much more capable dedicated GPU when your playing games or doing something 3D intensive. Saves battery, lowers heat.

pag

Windows 7 home premium came with my laptop but i made a mistake it was amd radeon hd 6470m not 6639m.... So from Amd its picked up as 7400m and also wimdows update... How can i correct this?

tomtalk24

I'm not sure, you are running a OS far beyond the laptop shelf life so to speak. I think the best thing to do is roll back to Windows 7, maybe 8 and keep it there as this is what it was designed for. You can fiddle things and keep it going but it looks like more work than is worth it. Whats telling you you have a 7400m? Crimson and Device manager?

pag

Yes to the last question...but windows 10 says my laptop is capable so y wud it say tht if it wasnt

tomtalk24

Windows will say it, you have enough RAM, your CPU is fast enough, your GPU is irrelevant as only needs the most basic for minimal running. But if your having devices renaming themselves that isn't good. But you have Windows 10, running. Thats all it looks for when determining "supported". Its beyond AMD or Sony support as both will say why haven't you got Windows 7 still.

The next best thing then will be to refresh Windows 10, it will clear out all system programs (drivers etc) and settings, Programs, system programs and settings or everything depending on your choice. If you have read the post about preventing Windows from updating drivers, you can then refresh, unplug your Ethernet or wifi when its installing, then install your drivers of choice but ideally the ones that support your laptop (but don't) then do the preventing Windows from updating your drivers thing. Then re-join the matrix.

This will be a problem less setup, so if it still don't work you will need to really consider using an OS that has drivers etc that supports your hardware. Its just the way of the world. Devices don't rename themselves unless there is a big problem or conflict, even then the only solution is to use what worked. If it aint broke, don't fix it as they say.

Hope that makes sense.

pag

Appologies i wrote 6630 was meant to write 6470... Once again done a fresh windows 10 install an installed via amd and it still installs the 7400 instead of 6470...

Even when i use auto detect it detects 7xxxm series

tomtalk24

So this chip?

Something is reporting the wrong hardware, the driver is asking and being told you have a 7400 desktop gpu. The BIOS is then next level down from your OS, if your OS isn't the one reporting it then its that. Have your run DXDiag.exe in Run? Screenshot the report.

Your laptop manual will tell you how to enter your BIOS, Sony may have an update.

If you want to check if its a corrupted BIOS or GPU BIOS or even OS as many times as you have installed it in the past, you can download Ubuntu MATE (or a flavour of your preference), download the Universal  USB Installer, burn the OS to a USB pen drive. Boot into the live CD (nothing to install just boot from the stick). Open terminal and type "lspci" this will list all devices including your VGA. If that's reporting wrong as well your Laptop is corrupt somewhere inside. This will be a definitive answer to if this is driver or OS.

Edit:

What did the OS see your card as post OS installation?

pag

Appologies i wrote 6630 was meant to write 6470... Once again done a fresh windows 10 install an installed via amd and it still installs the 7400 instead of 6470...

Even when i use auto detect it detects 7xxxm series