15 Replies Latest reply on Jan 8, 2016 10:40 AM by tombotnt

The Black Hole

tombotnt

Description

Why black hole? Because I can't get any performance out of it... It's 7 years old and has problems with booting up, but with that age I won't complain. When it works I can play some games on it, or even stream sometimes...

The cable-management on this case is impossible, but I did what I could.

There is a small fan mounted to the chipset, because it was overheating, now it won't get hotter than 45C. A 12cm fan has been added at the back to help keeping the system cool (some sensors still show ~70C when on load).

I've achieved ~10fps avg in valley benchmark on high, I'll try running ultra (:P) and publish the results too

Passmark benchmark results: PassMark Software - Display Baseline ID# 534321

SAM_0171.JPG

Specifications

CPUAMD Phenom 9650 Quad-core @2.3GHz
      CoolerStock Cooler
      MotherboardGigabyte GA-M52L-S3P rev 1.0
      Memory2x2GB ddr2 GoodRam (800MHz)
      GraphicsGigabyte gt220
      Disc Drive 1500GB Seagate baracuda
      Disc Drive 2160GB Samsung HD160JJ
      Disc Drive 3{drive3}
      PSULC-Power LC420H-8
      CaseIBox force 2101
      MonitorASUS PG191
        • Re: The Black Hole
          cristo1985

Hello my friend!

You need a better CPU cooler for that "monster" chip. Try at least this one - DeepCool GAMMAXX 300. for your LGA775 socket. The CPU fan should be parallel and close to the external cooler.

tombotnt

The stock cooler works pretty good, I didn't get past 50C on full load. I would change it when I get a new PC (probably with an FX8370E) and the old one would get OC-ed to it's limit

ebonclaw

I'd just get a straight 8350 vs an 8370e.  It's cheaper and performance is identical; the saved $ would be better spent on an aftermarket cooler to enable better overclocking of the 8350, taking it farther than an 8370e on a stock cooler. 

adr_tech

LGA775? This is an AMD Phenom If im not mistaken its an AM2 socket.

Plus i don't think by now its worth it to upgrade the CPU cooler if the stock one is running fine

ebonclaw

Depends on the cooler; the de facto standard for cooler upgrades, the Cooler Master 212 EVO, is inexpensive ($20-$30), delivers outstanding performance, and has universal brackets, allowing it to be mounted to any future chip barring a brand new socket type, which a new set of brackets would probably address.  Even if the stock one is running fine, from a noise standpoint it should be a substantial improvement.

cristo1985

LOL   I was thinking that is Intel Core 2 Quad Q9650. Has the same name but the cooler i recommended is also good enough for this CPU. Is equipped with multiple clips to support Intel LGA1366/1156/1155/1151/1150/775 and AMD FM2/FM1/AM3+/AM3/AM2+/AM2/K8.

tombotnt

It's actually the AM2+ socket

jamesc359

Err, dare I ask what's holding that chip set fan on?

ebonclaw

So here's at least part of your problem:

Your PSU sucks.  What you've got is a 420w no-name power supply.  What this means is that it's highly, HIGHLY unlikely this thing is delivering a full 420w, that's probably the "peak power" rating of the PSU, and it's probably only capable of delivering that wattage in short intervals at best.  I really hate how generic PSU companies do this- they advertise the "peak power" output of a PSU as though it were the continuous output and thusly many users think they've got a beefier power supply than they actually do.  Your system consumes about 300w of power by my estimate, and your PSU is probably outputting very close to that.  This is probably what's causing your bootup problems and some of your stability issues.

You've only got 4GB of RAM as well, and it's old DDR2 to boot.  Honestly, by the time you brought all the components up to par, you're basically buying a new PC.  Having said that, I would recommend you go out and buy a good 650W or so modular PSU for this thing; it will likely solve a lot of your stability issues, greatly help your cable management, and lastly, it'll be one less component you have to buy when you build this PC's replacement.  Honestly, you're not going to be upgrading anything else anyway (especially not the GPU) while that PSU is still in the box.

tombotnt

I know the PSU problem, but I didn't have any problems with my PC for the first 6 years of owning it. I don't want to spend cash on buying a PSU for that PC, because I'm saving for a whole new rig (one of the 8core FX's, 8Gb of ddr3, a better 650W semimodular PSU and hopefully a R9 fury or similar) this one will get pushed to the limit then (I may put the better PSU in while doing it)

ebonclaw

While there is not a TON of research on this subject, it is known that PSUs (particularly cheap ones) can become more and more out of spec with time; that is to say that they deliver less and less output throughout their years, cheap capacitors wearing out and excessive heat are contributing factors to this.  When you finally get ready to pull the trigger on your new unit, ensure you're getting a high quality one; here's a handy chart for high quality vs fire hazard!
                                  tgrbCnr.jpg

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                                shaneherald

hey man ....if it works for you that's all that matters......I have here in my possession my old phenom II x4 840 3.1ghz cpu I have had it running at 4.5 ghz stable on other boards .....

how would you like me to send it to you while your getting things together for your next build?....

tombotnt

A new rig will be posted, as soon as I get all the parts for my new PC. Featuring an FX-8320E and R7 370 (I chose them because of my limited budget of ~800$) meaning that it'll finally be a full AMD build. It will be a gaming/streaming PC, the "Black Hole" will become a backup I hope I won't need. It served me for a long time now and deserves some rest