7 Replies Latest reply on Dec 14, 2015 12:43 PM by ferni55

Do I need Crossfire cable ?

ferni55

Hi,

I have Saphire Nitro R7 370 4G D5, I am willing to buy another for crossfire. In the box there is no Crossfire connector came. Also inside the box of motherboard's there is no crossfire cable.

I search and there is confusion around the internet, some say that there is no need of crossfire connector anymore from R9 290X ( AMD Radeon R9 290X To Feature New AMD CrossFireX Technology - CrossFire Bridge Not Required Anymore  )

So does my graphics card need that cable ? or not ?

PS:

On the box of the graphics card, it says crossfire cable is required to use dual graphics card. Why the hek Crossfire cables not coming in box of graphics card ? Some people does not know that they can use multiple GPUs in single system. If everyone sees Crossfire cable coming out of the box they could say " oh what is this, let me seach".. So they will get know that they could buy another new graphics card too, to crossfire it. Its like advertising.

Confused.

• Re: Do I need Crossfire cable ?
          tomtalk24

Hi,

Some card makers like XFX or Asus bundle in Crossfire Bridges, Sapphire havent. Some motherboard makes give out branded bridges, like my Asus. Most dont. Its more to do with the company who makes it. If you buy a second card to Crossfire go a little more premium and it should say it will come with one. They are easy to pick up anyway.

As for Crossfire with your card, you need something called XDMA CrossFire, it uses the PCIe3.0 bus. This tech starts with the R9 285 class of card. If you card says "Crossfire Bridge" then it probably is. I think its down to the GCN version, so yours is a 1.0 and the lastest cards with XDMA CrossFire are GCN 1.2 .

Hope this clears things up.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              ferni55

Hi,

Thanks for the information. Most motherboards does not come with CF cables. I only had SLI bridge and also cable. Shame on gigabyte and GPU manufacturers.

Ok, no negative sides to use Cross Fire cable, the problem is to find the cable... My mind make nothing of seeing boxes came without CF cables.

tomtalk24

Exactly, My Asus and XFXs cards of past all came with one. I was fortunate to have both in my mobo box but I brought it specifically for xfire, would be shocked if it didn't. Its just one of those things that tends to keep customers coming for more. Ended up buying Asus' routers and GPUs just because for the way they treat people. If your in Europe I would be happy to help. I'm sure you can always try your local PC shop if its any easier.

Tick your issue as solved if all is understood I hope so.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                warpfact0r10

If you live in the US and have problems finding one, let me know via private message. I have a couple of extras.