7 Replies Latest reply on Jan 26, 2016 4:18 PM by hardcoregames™

AMD Zen to launch March 2016 - RUMOR-

black_zion

AMD rumored to launch its AM4 platform with its Zen CPU in March 2016

The rumor is coming from Planet3DNow, which said AMD would launch the new flagship AM4 platform in March, much earlier than the previous release window of Q4 2016. The new Zen CPU would run on the AM4 platform, which will support both APUs and CPUs. Better yet, the new AM4 platform will reportedly last much longer than previous platforms, promising support for future AMD processors. The source of Planet3DNow said that "The internal timetable foresees a March 2016 launch".

Alright so it's a rumor, but it's not THAT far fetched. AMD has been taping out Zen for a while, and If GlobalFoundries is able to ramp up their 14nm FinFET production, we could see a product launch in March with wide availability in 2Q 2016. Sadly it might be a stretch to see Zen powered APUs in products in time for Christmas...

• Re: AMD Zen to launch March 2016 - RUMOR-
          hardcoregames™

DDR4 is still early in the curve and I expect that it will be mainstream for a long time

I am expecting both AMD and MVIDIA to have some new 14nm video cards next year too

savagebeastzero

Hey black_zion,

Yeah I've been reading about this as well and I'm hoping there is some truth to it. It makes sense, as it would have enough time to gain momentum throughout the year and also give them enough time to manufacture enough to meet demand by next holiday season.

Either way, I'm extremely excited about seeing it launch. Although I probably won't be a day one adopter, I will make the jump by years end if it's as much of a powerhouse as expected. Let's hope that the gains they are projecting are indeed as large as their figures have shown. If that is the case, Zen will be something to dramatically change the game in terms of competition.   

neon

I think that the origin of the rumor was one of the motherboard manufacturers, preparing UEFI for the upcoming boards. The March date probably means UEFI for those boards will be ready. Next would be start of board manufacture and filling the sales channel with boards in advance of Zen processors reaching availability. My guess is that means Zen couldn't be until June at earliest. Most guidance about Zen launch is 2016 production for 2017 profitability, which sure sounds like Q4.

hardcoregames™

I am aware that AMD has taped out some Zen hardware but yields have been disappointing. Likely a new cycle of tweaking the design or 2 is needed before the 14nm process firms up.

Likely the UEFI will add support for the NVMe that surfaced with the Z170 motherboards, however I noticed PCI Express x4 cards with M.2 slots for $10 on eBay already.

All I know is that the box I have now works, so I can wait for AMD to come up with a working solution. That is why when I refurbished the old box, the AMD3+ socket will be around for a while to come. It also means my RAM tray is stuffed with more and more DDR3. 2048MB sticks are under $10.

Intel's Z170 is available with DDR3 and I think AMD would be advantaged doing the same thing. RAM is still expensive (or was anyway), and reducing the incremental cost is very desireable.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                  black_zion

AMD Confirms Zen CPUs Will Hit High-End Desktops, Gaming PCs Late This Year : PERSONAL TECH : Tech Times

Retail availability late this year, but remember thanks to Microsoft only Windows 10 will get software support, so 90% of the market shouldn't be too excited, sadly...

hardcoregames™

AMD will likely have Zen ready before MSFT can manage to get Windows 10 done, MSFT is still working on the core of the OS which is still early in development. The development of OneCore is the goal of making Windows available in a wide range of platforms from a phone to a desktop.

The build I am testing now has many issues which is why I am expecting another build to surface sooner than later.