AnsweredAssumed Answered

15.11 chipset not compatible with Windows version

Question asked by sheepydude on Dec 5, 2015
Latest reply on Dec 6, 2015 by sheepydude

I have downgraded to Windows 7 on my laptop and I'm now trying to reinstall and update the drivers.

However I can't install the latest chipset driver because it says it is not compatible with my Windows version. I am running Windows Ultimate 64-bit on a HP Pavilion 17. I downloaded the Windows 10/8.1/7 (64-bit) version of the driver from this page but when I try to run it it come us with an error saying: 'The version of this file is not compatible with the version of Window's you're running. Check your computer's system information to see whether you need an x86 (32-bit) or and x64 (64-bit) version of the program, and then contact the software publisher.' I check the system information (right clicking Computer --> Properties) and it is definitely 64-bit. Just to make sure I downloaded the 32-bit version of the driver and tried that, but it could not install saying that it had detected a 64-bit OS.

I used the AMD autodetect utility and have downloaded Catalyst. According to the AMD Gaming Evolved thingy I have the AMD Catalyst driver (15.11.1) which is up to date.

I have tried going onto the HP website but that says that Windows 7 is not supported on the Pavilion 17 since it was designed for Windows 8 (which I had before) so I was not able to get the drivers from there.

I've used to Device Manager to see what other drivers I need (wireless, audio etc) and according to that there are just two missing (though I believe several others are out of date). These are the SM Bus Controller and an Unknown Device. In another forum thread I read they said the SM Bus was a chipset thing and gave a link to the page I mentioned before. I've tried simply right clicking them and clicking Update Driver, but it doesn't find anything. I've used links from other forums to find drivers for other things like the USB 3.0 although I'm not sure if they are the most up to date.

I've always bought Windows preinstalled before so I've never actually installed it myself or manually installed the drivers.

If you could help me get the chipset to work that would be very helpful. Also any tips on get other drivers up to date would be appreciated too.

I've attached and extract from the DxDiag, I don't know it that will help.

Attachments

Outcomes