1 Reply Latest reply on Dec 5, 2015 3:03 PM by john007

Reset OverDrive Settings

crasssr

Context: I was testing out the OverDrive feature on my R9 290 card using Crimson on Windows 10 (64-bit), and foolishly set the GPU frequency to high. What happened next I can only describe as a highly frustrating experience: my screen when blank. I patiently waited 30 seconds, because I (falsely) assumed when changing intricate, low-level display settings, there would be a timeout to confirm that the new settings worked correctly or otherwise be reset to their previous  configuration (e.g. Windows resolution changing, in-game graphics options, etc.).

I eventually did a hard-reset of my PC with the screen still blank in hopes that it would not have stored the new changes. However, when I logged in there were flickering artifact streaks across my screen and black dots. I grew increasingly frustrated when I attempted to load the Radeon Settings application. It kept freezing due to the transparent GUI and I could barely navigate to the gaming tab, much less change OverDrive settings. The video driver would also repeatedly fail and close the Radeon application after certain intervals of time. After persisting an hour and resetting the PC a couple times I finally navigated to the screen quick enough before it closed me out, and reset my OverDrive configuration before it crashed.

My question: Is there any way possible to reset OverDrive settings outside the application (hopefully in the file system)? I checked around and could only find older forums saying to delete the ACE folder in the ATI %appdata%/Roaming directory. That did not work. Are the settings in a different location for the new Crimson than the old Catalyst? I would just like to prevent the above situation from ever occurring in the future (I know it is good practice to adjust sliders gradually. but once a GPU is unstable anything can happen).

I can't help but think there was a bit of oversight in the Radeon settings applet--a rich GUI to affect low-level graphics settings, without any "timeout" fail safes? Then again, I guess I also had a bit of user oversight in adjusting clock speeds up by 30% instead of 3%.