AnsweredAssumed Answered

Crimson Driver Crashes.

Question asked by hugodailly on Dec 4, 2015
Latest reply on Dec 11, 2015 by alirio

So I updated my AMD Desktop Graphics drivers to Crimson (15.11.1) the other day, and I noticed some errors.

After I had my pc running for about 15-30 minutes, I would get the message saying that AMD Host Settings had crashed.

This, as far as I know, had no impact on my pc. My pc was also making a lot more noise than before (I had a custom fan curve in MSI Afterburner).

Before updating, my rig had only crashed about once or twice in 5 months.

After the update, my pc crashed daily, and at the most random times.

After reading some comments/reviews/complaints made online, about how Crimson had destroyed a couple of graphics cards, I decided to look at my system temps.

I opened Hardware Monitor, and saw to my surprise that my gpu was running at 82 degrees Celsius. With my custom fan-curve, the gpu never got hotter than 72 degrees at 100% load.

This also explained why my system was a lot louder than I was used to.

At this moment, I saw a connection:

After I had updated my drivers:

My pc crashed rather often, made a lot noise, ran much hotter and the AMD Host settings crashed.

So, I decided to downgrade my GPU drivers to 15.7, for which AMD has a handy-dandy overview (How-To Uninstall AMD Catalyst Drivers From A Windows Based System).

But it seem I have run into a massive issue: I am unable to successfully install any AMD Drivers. Not Crimson, not 15.7.

After I had installed the appropriate drivers (Desktop), it said the drivers had been installed successfully, and that my pc had to be restarted.

After the pc booted itself up, I would fill in my password and everything would work... for about 45 seconds.

Right after some 30-45 seconds, just sitting on the desktop, my screen would go black, while my system would keep on chugging.

I manually reboot my pc and start it in safe mode (which it does perfectly). I then go to my AMD Files, click on setup and then it will analyse my system. (The AMD Control Center doesn't seem to work either.)

It then instantly says the following: Detection driver error. Contact AMD for assistance.

This is quite frustrating, because after the installation the installer said that the installation was successful.

I have tried to reinstall my drivers for 6 times now, and every time it does the thing.

Without drivers, my system works fine, but it can't recognise my GPU.

It seems you are unable to start any game without drivers installed.

I am at a complete loss at what to do.

I would therefore really appreciate it if someone would help me.

My rig:

CPU: Intel Core i5-4590 (3,3-3,7). Cooled by a CM TX3

GPU: Sapphire r9-285 OC (2GB GDDR5)

Motherboard: MSI B85-G41 Pc Mate

RAM: 2x4GB DDR3-1600MHz Crucial Ballistix Sport

PSU: Seasonic 520W 80+ Bronze

Message was edited by: Hugo d'Ailly

Outcomes