6 Replies Latest reply on Dec 8, 2015 12:56 PM by lbxzero

can't enable crossfire on r7 250x

phatxskill

alright so iv'e been looking for a fix for some time now and have tried multiple things that amd customer support has recommended and other "fix's" on forums and cant seem to figure this out hopefully someone can shed some insight on this for me.

running 2x XFX radeon r7 250x 2gb core edition from bestbuy. i have tried booting into safemode using driver cleanup to uninstall the drivers rebooting and re installing drivers, ive tried swapping the cards, taking one out booting up, shutting down then inserting the second, each time ill get the changes have occurred click to enable crossfire pop up but still get the internal bridge interconnect error "no bridges on these cards"

cf00f9feea.jpg

a5b0d4e54f.png

Cpu is an amd fx-6300 oc'd at 4.5ghz

8gb ddr 3 pny ram 1600mhz

ultra 450w psu.

i know the psu is a little low for running dual cards but ive had no issue "i dedicate the second one for OBS and twitch streams" so i know they both work at the same time with no issues

Edit: heres The mobo information it has crossfire listed

GIGABYTE - Motherboard - Socket AM3+ - GA-970A-DS3P (rev. 2.0)

• Re: can't enable crossfire on r7 250x
          phatxskill

bump need help please lol

lbxzero

Looking at the compatibility charts, those 2 don't require the external bridge connector.  Looking at the specs on the motherboard, you may not like my conclusions.  The motherboard does support 2-way crossfire, but it will be in x16/x4 speeds.  It is possible the motherboard does not support or meet requirements for the internal bridge connection.

First action I suggest is seeing if there is an update for the BIOS on the motherboard.  There may be hope that the latest BIOS update can resolve this.  Otherwise, if the 2 cards don't have the ports for the physical bridge connector, you may not be able to use the two in crossfire mode.

phatxskill

Thats what i was figuring i updated the bios before and didnt solve anything was hoping there was another possibly reason, i also read somewhere that you need dual channel 1866mhz memory to use cf any truth behind that or no?

lbxzero

I wouldn't understand why you need at least 1866MHz memory, but I would consider the PCIe lane restrictions to be a bigger issue.

Looking at other articles, I do believe the PCIe x4 lane slot is the primary problem.  The bandwidth capabilities are too slow to support the internal bridge connection with the x16 slot.  You will have to replace the motherboard with a one with the 990X or 990FX chipset.

phatxskill

Alright was hoping wouldnt need a new mobo but the 990fxa-ud3p is around 100$ so guess thats not to bad heres another question is it worth it using 250x in cf? I mean these cards have handled everything ive thrown at them just fine just looking to increase performance a bit and i do like the fact that i can dedicate one solely to streaming while the other renders the game just fine for 1080p