AnsweredAssumed Answered

Catalyst 15.7.1 + fx990 = bad

Question asked by imweasel on Dec 3, 2015
Latest reply on Dec 7, 2015 by amdmatt

Hi all, just joined because of my bad experience with this combination, as well seeking some advice on what to do next.

I installed this package from the official source about three and a half weeks ago.

Didn't think of it any further, as i never ran into trouble before. Click, install, say yay, be gone, forget, and moved on to enjoy whatever i was doing.

Boy i wish i had thought back of it, a ton of trouble came up ever since.

I experienced random soft-crashes and hard reboots. (even when i set Win7 to not reboot automatically in case of a crash)

Any application could crash at anytime, it never happened really fast though.

I thought that some part of my hardware broke down, until i found a way to retrieve consistent blue screen of deaths.

Using Intel Burn Test on maximum setting, i got an error stating 0x000000c5 - DRIVER_CORRUPTED_EXPOOL, meaning that the system tries to address invalid memory at a process IRQL that was too high.

So i decided to toss out the AMD memory contoller part out of the device manager. Replacing it with de default Microsoft driver, to see if that helped, and voila, i can once again run Intel Burn Test on highest settings all night long. Common usage seems stable again as well, but i haven't gotten to try anything else.

This is on a system with;

Asus Crosshair Formula Z

AMD FX9590

Kingston HyperX Savage 16 GB - 2400 Mhz

Nvidia GTX780Ti

Crucial MX100 512 GB

Win7

So, what to do now, go back to the Catalyst package that Asus released for it back in the days, use the latest beta, or use something in between?

Also would like to hear your (Intel Burn Test) experiences with any 990FX and recent Catalyst versions!

Thanks

Outcomes