AnsweredAssumed Answered

FX8350 overheating

Question asked by johnny91i on Dec 3, 2015
Latest reply on Dec 5, 2015 by t77chevy

Hello guys, i have a problem with one of my FX8350's but let me elaborate first.

I have two identical systems build with FX8350, Asus sabertooth FX990 R2.0 16gigs of ram 600W PSUs and SSDs.

The main dif is that one has a Firepro V4900 and the other has a HD5870.

The first one with the HD5870 i bought it about 1.5 year ago while the other one with the firepro i bought it 1 year ago exactly.

The Firepro started overheating during summer but i just cleaned it and let it suffer with 5-6k rpms on the stock coolers.

After october when the ambient temps lowered a lot, it kept overheating seriously and had a idle temp of 58-62C and during high usage it would be close to 70C.

In contrast with the other machine where the idle temps are much lower on 38-40C even in the summer and the RPMS are usually around 3.5k.

I tried to change OS's a couple of times but the temperature rise even on bios, although not as hard.

So finally i bought a new cooler to replace stock

ARCTIC COOLING FREEZER A11

You would expect for an aftermarket cooler for 150W cpus to fix things but as it came out, CPU would overheat in a matter of seconds, cross 72C and shutdown leaving it unusable since it would shutdown even on idle 10 seconds after booting.

So i got it back to the place i got it for testing and probably hoping to find the CPU faulty but they said it is normal for such a difference of temperatures even on the same specs computer.

And that one led me here searching for answers.

Is it normal for a FX8350 chip to run so hot all of a sudden?

Outcomes