AnsweredAssumed Answered

First day with AMD card -  R9 390 - and problems

Question asked by lennzo on Dec 3, 2015
Latest reply on Dec 3, 2015 by lennzo

I'm running Win 7 64 bit SP 1 on an 850 EVO SSD.... i7 4790 (non K so not OC'd), Gigabyte HA97 D3H mobo, 32GB Gskill RAM, 4HDD's and a Seasonic S1211 620W PSU. Note the 620W PSU is good - 48A on 12V rail. I have two monitors - a BenQ 27" 1080p 60Hz VA panel & a BenQ 27" 1440p 60Hz IPS panel.

I just got an XFX R9 390 that arrived today, my first AMD card. Before it arrived I read the forum here to try and get a handle on what kind of things I might expect and felt prepared for the install. I contacted Matt here and just asked which drivers I should install. His advice was "You should be fine to use the latest version of the Crimson driver which has addressed a lot of the issues. It's called Crimson beta 15.11.1. Enter your details at www.amd.com/drivers and look for the Beta Crimson driver. " So I went there, entered the card info and DL'd Crimson beta 15.11.1.

I uninstalled the drivers for my GTX 650 Ti with Display Driver Uninstaller and removed the card. Installed the R9 390, hooked the 1080p mon up through HDMI, and the 1440p through DVI-D. Booted and it initially just ran both mon's @ 800x600 Win generic. I right clicked to install the "Radeon-Software-Crimson-Edition-15.11.1-Beta-64Bit-Win10-Win8.1-Win7-Nov30" driver as Admin.

It immediately told me I needed a driver update. Strange, cause as mentioned I had asked Matt by email yesterday which driver I needed. I declined so I could just complete the install. Rebooted and it updated the driver anyway. Now it shows driver 15.30.1025.1001-151129a-297019E

So as mentioned I have the mon's on two different resolutions. I applied those settings through Windows Display Settings. So far so good. Temps on GPU with HWmonitor were 43 C idle. I opened tomb raider and Benchmarked max resolution and it ran fine with everything on Ultra \ Maxed and the GPU peaked at 73C I think that's OK??? 43C idle \ 73C load

Then I tried benching with Unigine Valley, setting: Custom, DX 11, Ultra, Disabled stereo 3D, single monitor, Anti-aliasing x2, 2560x1440. This is where the problems started.

First time through Valley froze and hung after about 15 secs. Had to kill through Task Manager. Second time it hung and the image was frozen, just rippling and waving. Killed through Task Manager.

Then I got this message: "Radeon Settings: Host Application Has Stopped Working" and the Radeon Settings closed out.

Tried Valley again just on Basic auto settings. It ran minimized and completed the test.

FPS 109.3

Score 4573

Min fps 28.7

Max 167.7

Tried Valley again using Custom, OpenGL, Ultra, Disabled stereo 3D, single monitor, Anti-aliasing x2, 2560x1440. I got the message again: "Radeon Settings: Host Application Has Stopped Working" and the Radeon Settings closed out.

Then I got the error message:

GameDVR Error "The GameDVR service reported unexpected error (22)"

I get the same results trying Valley on my 1080p monitor.

Both Monitors have Virtual Super Resolution off, GPU scaling off, Scaling Mode Center

Rebooted and after about 15 minutes just with Chrome open I got the error again: ""Radeon Settings: Host Application Has Stopped Working" and the Radeon Settings closed out.

So not a great start with my first AMD card. I have this horrible sinking feeling that I just spent $460 (Canadian prices) on something that's going to be a host of problems.

Does anyone have any advice on what's happening here?

Should it have updated from Crimson beta 15.11.1. to driver 15.30.1025.1001-151129a-297019E ?

Which driver should I be using; Do I now need to do a clean uninstall and install the right driver; and how do I prevent it from automatically updating and changing my driver?

How do I uninstall AMD Gaming Evolved?

Can I just run driver alone without any of the accompanying software?

Outcomes