4 Replies Latest reply on Feb 11, 2016 2:13 PM by zerodistance

Figured out how to stop these retched black screens on my system, maybe this will help you!

celestial_bovine

Ok. issue was characterized by continual and unstoppable randomly occurring black screens that were made exponentially worse by the use of my Oculus DK 2

Both the amd cards I own are subject to he issue mentioned above.

R9 nano and a 390.

tried everything under the sun on both cards, ULPS all that stuff nothing worked, I systematically went about this by installing windows 7 x64 ULTI and 10 X64 PRO over and over fresh to rule out anything until FINALLY!! VICTORY!

This whole process took 4 bloody days without sleep but here are my results.

Screen * DID NOT MATTER * issue was present across everything from a measly 1080p sony to a 70 inch 4k uhd samsung to a premium dell  ultrawide.

test environment was a Intel Core I7 5820 K

32 gigs ddr 4

And an X99-UD4-CF motherboard all fully updated,bios, drivers, and everything installed.

I updated the Bios on my r9 Nano and it had No effect.

Tried tweakforce drivers, no effect.

Tried old drivers No Effect.

Tried beta drivers No Effect.

TRIED WITH AND WITHOUT ANY TRACES OF DK2 , Lessened black screen occurrence but did not stop it.

ULPS thing made it worse, way way way way worse!

But then..... I tried connecting through HDMI ... and would you believe of all things.. that did the trick? I realize this is a less then ideal solution for many people and many very valid reasons but if you can find a way to make the switch,  clean install to rule anything out if you can + hdmi seems to have done the trick, system now operates without black screens at any supported res without black screens gaming media browsing net or idle everythings fine for hours.

hopefully going forward it will stay fine!

Just stay the **** away from Display port and you should be fine if this is happening to you.

Just reconnected my oculus but through DVI with a hdmi adapter thingy, no issues for 12  minutes so far

( it would have happened way before 12 minutes if it were going to happen at all )

• Re: Figured out how to stop these retched black screens on my system, maybe this will help you!
          celestial_bovine

as promised , the followup, so far no black screens through hdmi, not once, but the instant I switch back to display port it starts doing it again

• Re: Figured out how to stop these retched black screens on my system, maybe this will help you!
              retiredamder

Just did a complete reinstall of the latest 2015.1204.1216.22046 and driver pack from AMD as Gaming Evolved said there were new drivers, the black screen is back and I am using the HDMI cable. Had the problem a few months back but it is back now with a vengeance. Have been a loyal AMD user since I worked there in the early 90's till the shuttered the door at our plant in 2002. Now I am having my doubts, Windows 10 or Catalyst, which is the cause of my grief. I sometimes think it is Microsoft trying to kill the AMD brand in favor of the "N" company and the "I" company. I could be wrong, was once before (I jest) but it sure seems like it. Could be the grudge I have as the "N" company under cut the 3DFX brand till it died then bought out all the tech specs (my 3DFX stock went to ZERO value) to build their current product lines and due to the "I" companies unfair business practices I was forced to retire. Just saying. Oh windows 10 just did an update prior to the reinstall of AMD Radeon Setting and drivers. Both Occurred the same day and I don't remember which was the closest to the return of the black screen issue, needless to say playing fast paced FPS is not good when the screen randomly goes black.

Good Luck and Good Hunting

zerodistance

So what did you do? Since I went back to the older 15.20 catalyst I havnt had it happen again. Plus I can't use Freesync with an HDMI cable.

Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android

On Wed, Feb 10, 2016 at 11:28 PM, retiredamder<amd-external@jiveon.com> wrote:  

|

Community 

Figured out how to stop these retched black screens on my system, maybe this will help you!

in Support Forums 

Just did a complete reinstall of the latest 2015.1204.1216.22046 and driver pack from AMD as Gaming Evolved said there were new drivers, the black screen is back and I am using the HDMI cable. Had the problem a few months back but it is back now with a vengeance. Have been a loyal AMD user since I worked there in the early 90's till the shuttered the door at our plant in 2002. Now I am having my doubts, Windows 10 or Catalyst, which is the cause of my grief. I sometimes think it is Microsoft trying to kill the AMD brand in favor of the "N" company and the "I" company. I could be wrong, was once before (I jest) but it sure seems like it. Could be the grudge I have as the "N" company under cut the 3DFX brand till it died then bought out all the tech specs (my 3DFX stock went to ZERO value) to build their current product lines and due to the "I" companies unfair business practices I was forced to retire. Just saying. Oh windows 10 just did an update prior to the reinstall of AMD Radeon Setting and drivers. Both Occurred the same day and I don't remember which was the closest to the return of the black screen issue, needless to say playing fast paced FPS is not good when the screen randomly goes black.

Good Luck and Good Hunting

Reply to this message by replying to this email -or- go to the message on Community

SHARE THE LOVE! Help other developers by marking replies to your questions as Helpful or Correct. If you are the original question asker, you can mark replies as Helpful or Correct by:

- Go to the message on Community (you’ll need to log in).

- Click on either the Helpful Answer button or the Correct Answer button.

- Pat yourself on the back! You’ve helped others who have the same question as you by telling them which replies are helpful and correct.

This email was sent by Community because you are a registered user.

You may unsubscribe instantly from Community, or adjust email frequency in your email preferences

|