11 Replies Latest reply on Feb 4, 2016 1:53 AM by Cornugon

2016 - more AMD optimised games?

Cornugon

So in less than a month 2015 has finally passed.

As we all know 2015 hasn't been that nice for PC gaming and especially us AMD gamers. It had too many Gameworks titles, AAA-games lacking (proper) multi-GPU support, unfinished/bugfest games, games running considerably worse on AMD hardware. And all this seems to be connected somehow... A very 'green' year...

There weren't many AAA-'Gaming Evolved'-titles that I know of, since I can only think of the latest SW: Battlefront and Battlefield: Hardline.

But next year will give us at least the newest Tomb Raider, Deus Ex, and Hitman games being more optimised on AMD hardware. And MAYBE Star Citizen and the next Mass Effect, but I wouldn't be surprised if they get pushed back to 2017.

So I'm curious: Will 2016 going to be more worthwile being a (AMD-) PC gamer? Or is it going to be broken games on day-1 all-over again, because fancy graphic effects are more important apparently than an optimised game...

• Re: 2016 - more AMD optimised games?
          backFireX64

I agree with anything you said so far, but you can forget about multi-gpu support at this time.

The market is pushing for single high-end gpu adapters, and game support for multi-gpu is close to non-existence.

I hope that dx12 will balance things a bit between the two companies, in single and multi-gpu scenarios.

About the day1 broken games, it is not much different with nvidia hardware you know.

Just take a look into their forums.

Lot of pain there as well.

Cornugon

I know nVidia users aren't much better off. But I still don't think it's a coincidence that most Gameworks titles are in a worse state than non-Gameworks games from day-one (like GTA V for example, which in hindsight was pretty 'optimised' and even had working multi-GPU support from release day. Not that it was without issues, but it wasn't worse than most nVidia-sponsored games)

Verzonden met mijn Windows Phone

john007

Hello,

Many developers I'm sure are interested in the AMD HBM technology but in the current state of the drivers you cant really blame them for not choosing the red team? What does AMD expect with the current state of Crimson right now? This is not good news by any standard. Lets take for example Alien Isolation, that application is AMD optimized. You cant even play that game stable with the new Fury X? This seems to be the major problem with developers choosing this platform right now.

Cornugon

The drivers aren’t worse than nVidia’s nowadays: There’s a lot of complaining about them on their forums every time a new ‘game-ready’driver is released, they tend to break a lot too apparently.

I don’t know about Alien Isolation on Fury X, but that game ran pretty great on my R9 290X setup. An external frame limiter was a must though for it (it’s possible FRTC does the job as well).

Earnhardt

Well, supposedly sometime in late 2016 they should be releasing the next BF game( I don't count hardline) And these have been very optimized for  crossfire ,I get almost 100% scaling in both BFBC2,BF3 and BF4. As long as it stays Military based(preferably WW2 based) and not like 2142.I'll be there.

Cornugon

Well we can apparently strike off Rise of the Tomb Raider, since it seems nVidia got it's hands all over that one. It's surprising it uses PureHair (TressFX 3.0) instead of Hairworks, but the lack of DX12 support (because of nVidia's lack of asynchronous compute support), the bundling with nVidia cards, the presence of HBAO+, and the promise of a future DX12-patch which is only going to work with feature level 12_1 cards (Maxwells...), is troubling.

We'll probably see in detail in 23 hours from now, but still... the only official 'AMD evolved' releases this year are Deus Ex, Hitman, and Ashes of the Singularity. Deus Ex being the only 'AAA'-title since Hitman's going episodic.

bolivar

I really hope Gaming Evolved gets going again in 2016 because I'm always blown away with how optimized those games are. It would make sense with Polaris and DX12 to make a new push.

rr7

I would hope so, but I'm not very optimistic. For example, right now, a lot of us with AMD hardware are having problems playing The Witness. The developers have already identified and confirmed the source: some bugs in AMD drivers which are causing crashes and other issues on some GPU models. AMD is aware of it, but not very willing to fix it or provide any kind of help/support. Apparently it isn't a priority for them. To put this in perspective, there was a similar problem with som Intel graphics drivers. The developers of the game said they were working with Intel to solve the problem and, guess what? After 3-4 days later, it's now fixed.

Cornugon

It's probably because there are still plenty of issues with recent and less recent so-called 'AAA'-releases that AMD need to fix (like Fallout 4's Crossfire not working with the recent 1.3 patch, etc. etc.), issues with indy-games AMD isn't directly involved with get lower priority (see how long it took to fix 'Supercruise-mode' performance in Elite: Dangerous).

Intel being the top-seller in the graphics department, supposedly having a lot more resources than AMD would explain their issues getting fixed quicker. And since most Intel HD chipsets aren't supported by most AAA-titles, they have more time to spend their time with those titles that do.

P.S.: I had to look up 'The Witness', since I never heard of it (probably because puzzle-games aren't my genre). I thought you were referring to The Witcher 3