4 Replies Latest reply on Dec 4, 2015 5:13 PM by john007

Heroes of the storm full screen crash

cguigue

So the problem started when I went to play HOTS (Heroes of the Storm by Blizzard Entertainment) and realized it would no longer launch and instead crashed. I have since isolated the cause of the crash after having updated to the latest Radeon Crimson Drivers 15.11 for Windows 10 64-bit, I have reverted back to my previous AMD Catalyst 15.11 Beta drivers for windows 10 64-bit which seems to have solved the problem. But alas the drivers finally allow native over-scaling which is really cool so would be nice to have fixed? Game just crashes saying it received a fatal error then spits out a GUID of sorts, very uncool.

Please not I have tried repairing the game, as well as forcing it to launch the 32-bit version of the application, but alas to no avail. I have since repeated the process of uninstalling all display drivers, reverting to and from versions of drivers and can confirm it is isolated to the Radeon Crimson 15.11 driver release. also please note that I have not made these test on the Beta version of the 15.11 release.

Further Investigation has founded that this is an issue with the full-screen version of the game specifically with the AMD Radeon Crimson 15.11 Drivers. I went to C:\Users\<user>\Documents\Heroes of the Storm\ and opened variables.txt You will need to add a new entry "displaymode=1" value of 1 worked for me, which specifies fullscreen(windowed) or you can try value of 2 which is windowed, removing the entry will default to fullscreen.

Please see screen shots.

• Re: Heroes of the storm full screen crash
          cguigue

Also please note I am Running two  R9 280x's in crossfire

john007

Hello,

May I ask have you had any issues with this application using the CCC 15.7.1 drivers? I myself had to revert back to CCC with the Fury X, had major issues with power consumption. What does the error state in the Event Viewer when this error occurs?

cguigue

Reverting Back to the 15.7.1 CCC Drivers solves my problems with the application. I've also attached the Event I reproduced this morning for you.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                    john007

Hello,

Not the dreaded ntdll.dll crash. It could be a few factors? It could be a hard drive issue or a dll problem.

Try running ChkDsk to check your drive for errors. Right-click your Drive icon/ Properties/ Tools/ Error Checking.  Try it first by not checking either box (this will run it in a Read-only mode) to see if it flags any hard drive or file problems.  If it does, restart  it by ticking both boxes, and rerun it to allow it to attempt to fix any found problems.

A check for malware might be worthwhile too.

If all is well try to reregister the DLL in question.

See if you can re-register the NTDLL.dll.

To register a dll or ocx file :
                    Click Start >Type in Search Bar:
                    regsvr32 <path & filename of dll or ocx>
                    Click Enter.

To un-register a dll or ocx file :
                    Click Start > Run >Type
                    regsvr32 <path & filename of dll or ocx> /u
                    Click Enter.

Hope this helps.