4 Replies Latest reply on Feb 12, 2016 1:00 PM by xfxsupport

Why can't i install catalyst control centre? XFX HD6870 Crossfire

mcpurp

So here is my problem.. Have flawlessly enjoyed fast graphics with a dual setup of XFX HD6870 1GB "DD", for the past 3 and a half years. I know they're getting a bit old, but they still do their job. Or atleast they did, until recently, when i tried to install the new crimson update, as it clearly states support for HD6xxx series graphics. I got an error while updating to 15.7.1 too, but since i figured out that it actually installed the driver, but got some errors in some of the extra options, i didn't care so much. But when trying to install the Crimson update i got the same "Application install: Install package failure" as i got on the 15.7.1, and again, the display driver installed, but not the other stuff. So i thought maybe i could do a clean install, as some folks states that this may help, so i did. Downloaded display driver uninstall, and wiped my display drivers, along with CCC, from my computer.. This i should NOT have done, as now i have a display driver, but no actual way of ENABLING crossfire.. Tried countless methods to install CCC, or Radeon software, but every installer get the "Application install:..." error, and can't actually install a software for my driver.

My specs:
      Windows 7 64bit Ultimate

Asus P8Z68-V Pro/GEN3

Intel Core i5 2500k@3,3Ghz

8GB of Kingston HyperX RAM @1,6ghz i think

Corsair GT 120GB SSD

And of course, the dual XFX Radeon HD 6870 1GB, Dual dissipation versions.

Please help me get my pc back in order, or i will switch to *shivers* nVidia, on my next upgrade.. Have been an AMD fanboy since my x1600 and, really want to stay true to you guys, but this is just pathetic...

Thanks!

• Re: Why can't i install catalyst control centre? XFX HD6870 Crossfire
          xfxsupport

Hello,

Thank you for contacting us about your issue.  My name is Mark at XFX, I will be helping resolve this issue today.

Before moving forward, make sure windows is up to date via the Windows update feature, then follow this guide.  it should resolve your issue.

Tutorial for proper driver installation.

1-Load windows with only your primary graphics card plugged in.

2-Disable any and ALL anti-virus/malware protection.

3-Download and Run the 15.11 (or latest) drivers from AMD.com (Omega drivers do not have Uninstall built in, you have to do it through add/remove, which is okay)

4-Choose to Uninstall/express (may not be available in newest version, download an older version) the existing drivers, and AMD folder

5-Restart the computer.

6-Disable any and ALL anti-virus/malware protection.

7-Run the 15.11 drivers from AMD.com

8-Choose to Install/Express the drivers

9-Restart.  Confirm settings are working in windows.

10-Shutdown and add 2nd/3rd cards for Xfire.

11-Respond to this ticket if you have any further questions

** If you have nvidia drivers on your computer, you might need to run the Uninstall feature of Nvidias driver as well.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • Re: Why can't i install catalyst control centre? XFX HD6870 Crossfire
            xfxsupport

Hello,

Is the crossfire bridge hooked up currently? That could be the issue.  Installing drivers while crossfire is physically hooked up sometimes causes issues.

Tutorial for proper driver installation.

1-Load windows with only your primary graphics card plugged in.

2-Disable any and ALL anti-virus/malware protection.

3-Download and Run the 15.11 (or latest) drivers from AMD.com (Omega drivers do not have Uninstall built in, you have to do it through add/remove, which is okay)

4-Choose to Uninstall/express (may not be available in newest version, download an older version) the existing drivers, and AMD folder

5-Restart the computer.

6-Disable any and ALL anti-virus/malware protection.

7-Run the 15.11 drivers from AMD.com

8-Choose to Install/Express the drivers

9-Restart.  Confirm settings are working in windows.

10-Shutdown and add 2nd/3rd cards for Xfire.

11-Respond to this ticket if you have any further questions

• If you have nvidia drivers on your computer, you might need to run the Uninstall feature of Nvidias driver as well.