1 Reply Latest reply on Dec 4, 2015 10:00 AM by amdmatt

Black Screen after Windows Login with AMD Crimson Drivers

psobczyk

Description of Issue

Installed AMD Crimson Drivers on Nov 25-26th.  Used quite a lot to play video games such as Rocket League & Guns of Icarus Online among others.  On Dec 1st, I loaded up Guns of Icarus Online, and about 2 min into startup the system locked up.  I proceeded to reboot it, and logged into Windows.  About 3-5 seconds after login, I get a black screen (with no mouse cursor) and it remains that way.  This problem reoccurs after every restart.

Actions Taken to Try to Remedy the Issue    

• Installation of the 12/1 hot-fix has no effect
      • Uninstallation of all AMD drivers had no effect.  Using the DDU utility at least allows me to boot into windows with default GPU drivers however it doesn't allow me to use the mouse (can drag across screen, but right/left clicking has no effect)
      • System restore/last known configuration
      • Clean install after uninstallation of old Catalyst drivers.  Black screen issue restarts after system restart

System Specs

GPU: XFX Radeon 6850 Black Edition

Motherboard: ASUS P8P67 PRO V3.1

Thoughts

I don't believe the card is dead as it still boots up and works so I would like any suggestions on further actions I can take.

• Re: Black Screen after Windows Login with AMD Crimson Drivers
          amdmatt

It sounds like an incompatibility issue between the Crimson drivers and your system.  Here are some additional troubleshooting steps you can take.

• Update your Motherboard bios to the latest available
          • Ensure your Windows 7 OS is fully up to date, including recommended and optional updates
          • Ensuring you have the latest updates installed for Visual Studio
          • Try using a different cable and connection to the monitor from the graphics card. For example, if you are using DVI, try HDMI etc.

If the issue persists after these steps, i would recommend rolling back to your last stable Catalyst driver.

Was my post helpful? If it was, please make sure to mark it as correct and or helpful in order to assist other users.