7 Replies Latest reply on Nov 30, 2015 10:06 PM by esmea

My 9370 is dying... which to replace it with?

esmea

So, it's been a long and weird year.

What started as a 'glitch' while viewing video from any source (browser, optical drive, in games, or even from file) resulted in RMAs on all of my core components except for the CPU and RAM, and full out replacements on many other components.

Each time that I thought I had squished the problem, it reared its ugly head even higher. The problems began to get exponentially worse - going from the video issues, to random instability, to issues with long idle times, to top it all off with arbitrary Black Screens/Freezes if I don't have a game running ASAP and at all times. Each time, I always came out with the problem seeming to be tackled. I've tried everything this time, though, and frankly, I'm done.

I've left out a lot of details about all of the various troubleshooting I've done; after all, it's been a year of this... a LOT has happened, but it all points to the CPU as the culprit, but only through deduction (it's not really a problem that can be tested for any other way without manufacturer resources.)

TLDR; I'm in the market to replace my FX-9370... I definitely don't want another 9370, since it's basically a badly-binned 9590. Should I go for a 9590 (the CPU I intended to buy the first time)? or put up with the slower (but cooler) 8350 for the next year as I wait for Zen?

I still have a few hours left to take advantage of the best prices I've ever seen either of those at...

• Re: My 9370 is dying... which to replace it with?
          warpfact0r10

In my experience it is extremely rare for a CPU to fail unless it has been aggressively overclocked. So your PSU, motherboard, and video card have all been replaced?

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              esmea

Intermittent hangs - 4mo. into diagnosis, evidence points to CPU/mobo

I'll save myself some time and point you to that older post about the same thing.

The only things that have happened since that post is: ASUS requested to take a look at the motherboard - after 3 weeks, they concluded it was in perfect shape (and gave it back to me with LN2 mode on O.O); SAMSUNG requested to RMA the SSD - they just up and replaced it, but the replacement didn't change anything as far as system problems.

I've also had to lately turn on the VRM spread spectrum to somewhat increase system stability (I can actually get a game launched before black screen with it on).

Yes, C6 is turned off, but it appears to make no difference.

I agree that a CPU going bad under such conditions is extremely rare - that's why it took me so long to accept that it was, indeed, dying. My time that I spent as a tech, I had only ever seen a handful of CPUs that were truly bad, most of them were overclocked, but there was one or two that were just straight up bad - and those were always obvious. This is why I came to the conclusion that whatever caused the chip to be binned as a 9370 and not a 9590 must have been a critical problem that got worse over time. (I'd love some clarification from AMD on whether those two are just simply binned like that)

If I go with the 9590, I could get lucky and get a "perfect chip" (yeah right, if that happens, I'm buying a lottery ticket)

zealotki11er

Get any FX8XXX and overclock it and wait for Zen.

3 of 3 people found this helpful
                esmea

I've gone ahead and ordered a FX-8350. The 8370 looked appealing, but for $50 more, I can't quite justify spending that much and not getting a 9590... not with Zen in a year. I normally buy parts to last at least three years, not one.

jamesc359

I'd just get an FX-8000 series. $150 for an FX-8350 is an amazing price. Besides, the FX-9000 series is too much of a power hog for my liking.

esmea

so, I went ahead and started mucking about in the BIOS to see I I can't squeeze any further stability out of this thing... Also perusing overclock.net... I thing I know exactly why the CPU is failing - the IMC is probably dying because of the stress of running my radeon RAM at the A.M.P. Profile settings (2133Mhz, CL10, 1.65v). Despite the RAM passing every test I have thrown at it, every problem exhibited is very indicative of some sort of problem related to it.

I may look up what settings I can get away with for memory timings at 1.5v. I'm fine underclocking the RAM down to 1866 if i must.