6 Replies Latest reply on Apr 8, 2016 11:43 AM by kifa

Dead Space 3 misses numerous visual effects on R9 290

kifa

So I've bought Dead Space 3 on a recent sale, in hopes of finally completing the trilogy, and I've noticed a "funny" thing about the game - it does not render many of the visual effects despite they are enabled in menus. Namely - SSAO, DoF and partially bloom/glow do not render at all. They are computed though, because framerate is slightly and consistently reduced when they are enabled in the options menu. I've tried many things - resetting app profile, deleting it altogether, different settings, even renaming the exe to confuse the drivers and injecting SweetFX - all to no avail. Other than those the game runs fine and does not show any problems, but I've tested it on my laptop with nVidia GPU and there everything works as it should.

My specs:

AMD Phenom II X6 1100T (not overclocked)
      16GB DDR3-1333 RAM
      ASUS M5A99X EVO R2.0 motherboard
      ASUS Radeon R9 290 (not overclocked)
      Windows 10 64bit
      AMD Software Crimson

I've reported the issue already and while I don't consider it all that big, I'm curious to know if anyone here experienced something similar at any point and if someone happens to have a workaround/fix?

UPDATE: I've managed to do a comparison screenshot for the issues I'm having. One screenshot is made with GTX 650Ti I've borrowed and stuck in my system, and the other is from my regular R9 290. Both are at 1080p and identical settings. You clearly can see that SSAO and reflections don't render at all on AMD hardware.

• Re: Dead Space 3 misses numerous visual effects on R9 290
          john007

Hello,

My advice would be to revert back to previous drivers, I myself had to revert back to 15.7.1 at the moment major problems with the Fury X with Crimson. I don't know who's in charge at AMD anymore?

Maybe try install SweetFX, inject custom dll shaders and edit the settings it may fix the issue I'm not sure? Hope this helps.

kifa

Did you read my original post? I tried using SweetFX, but it didn't help and frankly I don't really know how injecting another shader into the pipeline would fix anything with shaders underneath it. It's just not how it works on software level. Please, stop recommending SweetFX every time like it's some form of universal cure. Plus, I don't find any of the shaders visually appealing - bumping contrast up and oversharpening the image is NOT improving it, but that's beside point.

Also - I did try going as far as 15.7 Pre-release, and nothing changed - effects are missing even on old drivers. Whatever that error is, it's prelevant on ALL driver versions that are working on Windows 10. That also means I have ran out of options. Again - nVidia GPU on Windows 10 has no trouble rendering all the FX as they should be.

john007

Hello,

Of coarse I read your original post I said try installing ''custom dll shaders'' which has fixed a few titles in the past so I was only trying to help you. Calm down, did you edit the settings of coarse SweetFX will look odd at first you have to setup the shaders yourself. I cant help you I myself haven't got a single stable Fury X driver so I feel your pain. Try to be a bit more grateful on peoples replies. I'm sure AMD are taking a serious note right now, because they are loosing this. Look up the reviews 'Crimson Drivers' on Reddit for an overall view on the state of Crimson currently. I'm so sorry I cant help you right now.

I hope this helps.

kifa

It is not that I am not grateful, it is just that your response seems not relevant enough to this particular game, and is quite generic to be frank. I couldn't find any pre-built "custom dll shaders" for Dead Space 3 on the Internet, and even for Sweet FX there are very, very few configs, which all focus on simple color effects. They will not fix missing SSAO and other effects relying on depth data, because SweetFX has no access to that. It just processes the frames of the game. I have tinkered a bit with the shader files but did not achieve anything meaningful with them and frankly I don't have time to do that. Bottom line is - none of the configs I found for DS3 fix anything, and they all reduce performance even on R9 290.

I guess we all need to wait and see if AMD wakes up their driver departament...

day83

OP, I'm having the same issue with my SSAO and HotS.  Very lame that I have to disable it otherwise NOTHING displays correctly.

kifa

Glad to hear that I'm not the only one with this issue. Additionally, I'm seeing shadow corruption in numerous areas in the game, they look heavily pixelated, as demonstrated on the screenshot below. Look at the character and witness huge, perfectly square pixels. Again, does not happen on my nVidia laptop...deadspace3_shadowing_glitches.jpg

I've seen similar artifacts before, way back during launch of Radeon 6870 which I bought day 1 - half the game displayed similar corruption on effects and dynamic shadows. Mildly amusing. Also - I have no issues with HotS, not visual at least...