9 Replies Latest reply on Dec 6, 2015 11:23 AM by lbxzero

Screen flickering in games after updating to Crimson drivers HD6990

rampage

First of all i would like to thank whole AMD team for making Radeon number 1 in the world. I was always ATI fan and i will always remain ATI fan.

Now lets get to the problem, reason why i wanted to update from Catalyst 15.7.1 to Crimson 15.30.1025 driver was a game Fallout 4 because i have read somewhere that these Crimson drivers make a huge improvement and they did really because now i can play this game on Ultra settings without lag and before i was experiencing lag and fps drops when i was playing on ultra settings. So installing these drivers i have solved 1 problem and i decided to keep my HD6990 for sure.

Problems occured when i installed Star Wars: Empire at War, screen was flickering whole the time i mean there was a sound but you could always see what you are doing my doing alt-tab whole the time, i mean i press new game and then alt-tab and then i see start a new game screen even when the screen was flickering. So i uninstalled this game and blamed STEAM network.

Anyways after that i have tried Heroes of the Storm and then i realised it wasnt EAW problem because the game was obviously fine but the problem were these Crimson drivers and perhaps my monitor because i have read somewhere that flickering has something with refresh rate of the monitor to do?!

Then ive tried Call of Duty: Black Ops 3 everything was fine, then Stronghold Crusader 2 everything was fine. In other words this problem persist only on certain titles. I have even tried to turn off crossfire in radeon settings application for certain games that were causing me trouble but it didnt help.

Now i will tell you how i managed to solve this issue for now and i think i can solve it in any game for now because this is only a temporary fix. I simply start a game windowed. In games like HOTS that is fine because this game has a windowed (fullscreen) option but EAW doesnt have that option and playing like that were you can see your taskbar doesnt make any joy even if i can hide it ofcourse.

More about this issue and how i solved you can read on official HOTS forum here.

My question is does this have something to do with refresh rate of my monitor which is i believe 60Hz or should i buy a new monitor with AMD FreeSync support. Is this perhaps because HD6990 is an old card now and you guys do not test certain drivers on these old cards? Just to conclude this long post, my hardware is 100 percent functionally because everything is almost new and ive tested everything several times. All other drivers are up to date, BIOS aswell. Upgrading to Windows 10 isnt an option, buying new monitor is a option when necessarily.

And one more thing i have tried to take a screenshot but print screen doesnt capture actual gameplay footage when screen is flickering, thats odd.

OS: Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1

CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3330 CPU @ 3.00GHz

GPU: Sapphire Radeon HD 6990 15.30.1025

PSU: Thermaltake Smart SE 730W