74 Replies Latest reply on Mar 27, 2017 2:59 AM by argulkit

Crimson driver killed my HD7870 !?!

kdr

Hey community,

I have the following problem:

after installation of the Crimson driver on my MSI HD7870 Twin Frozr I played some hours of World of Tanks.

Suddenly the screen freeze (a red-brown screen). After forced reboot I only see the animated Windows symbol without any sound and the screen beomes black and afterwards black-blue.

I tried the following without success:

1. connection via HDMI instead of DVI

2. deinstallation of the driver in normal mode (used my intel IGP for getting into Windows), in safe mode and with DDU

3. reinstallation  off 15.7 und 15.9 und Crimson  in normal mode and in safe mode.

beside  this i have the following remarks:

1. GPU fans are running, windows found the GPU and named it correctly

2. my old HD 6950 is working (with 15.7), so PCI-E should be ok

3. after installation of 15.4 the GPU shows the logon screen, but with error (see pic) and after logon the screen becomes black-blue.

4. the GPU wasn´t overcloked

System: i5-2500k, Asrock Z38 Pro3, Crucial MX100 512GB, 16GB DDR3-1333, 520W Antec HCG, Win7 HP 64bit

It seems to be a bug in the Crimson driver which leads to overheating and damage to the GPU. See examples in the communities.

I am sad AMD, this shouldn´t not be happen and I hope you can and will find a solution for this problem.

http://www.playnation.de/spiele-news/amd/kritischer-treiber-bug-kann-grafikkarte-durchbrennen-lassen-id63397.html

• Re: Crimson driver killed my HD7870 !?!
          kdr
          4 of 5 people found this helpful
              waltc

The on-board circuitry of his card won't permit a temp-related burn out.  The card will shut down long before that happens.  It's not a defense of Crimson.  It's simply an explanation of how the cards work and have worked for many years now.  Burn outs because of  high temps are relics of the distant past--provided the user hasn't taken to soldering a bunch of "mods" on his card...;)  In that case, anything at all is possible and not even close to being AMD's fault.

2 of 5 people found this helpful
                  kdr

The chip has saftey mechanism, but the MSI VRAM has no heatsinks and is only cooled down by the fans. So if the heat increases the chip will shut down, but the temperature at the VRAm will be much higher(look comparable examples were cards shut down at 90°C chip temp, but the VRAM has much higher temps) The GPU isn´t fataly damaged, but it seems to be, that some of the VRAM-modules got some heat(?) damage(see pic, this looks like broken VRAM).

This card was never modified in hardware nor software by me. Fan speed was controlled by the card.

3 of 3 people found this helpful
                    morbiousstone

wrong my cards wonky now its semi fried  HIS ICEQ7870 i noticed early so its not 100% ruined, This is AMD's fault its not user error or a power supply problem Ive seen yours and others comments to this guy............. WHAT A JOKE you are wrong about everything you have said & ignored solid logic

1 of 3 people found this helpful
                    cainstar

Holy [Excrement] so that brow/red screen and the BSOD crash is due overheating.....[Excrement][Excrement][Excrement]......I thought it was just a possible HDD malfunction. The weird thing is I got it while playing Assassin's Creed - Rogue, I've had no problem while playing the much more demanding Assassin's Creed - Syndicate. This is the last straw and my last AMD GPU......actually this GPU is my last AMD product E-V-E-R!

1 of 4 people found this helpful
                      morbiousstone

Well they haven't fixed it & i just reinstalled

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                      kdr

I emailed with MSI and now i know the GPU is out of the 36 month warranty.

So AMD, what should i do now? With a broken GPU thanks to your driver bug.

warpfact0r10

Is your CPU overclocked? How old is your Windows installation?

kdr

1. Nope

2. Windows was reinstalled in July because i got my new MX 100 512GB

3. The PC is running fine with my old HD6950(and 15.7) since last Wednesday and (the years before my HD7870)

4. look how many GCN 1.0 cards are hitted hard by the driver. The newer GCN seems to have better saftey mode and/or throttle. My card didn´t throttle at all, i had my 60fps(thx to FRTC) until freeze

warpfact0r10

If you have access to another PC, it might be worthwhile to test the card in that.

Another thing to consider is that power supplies do degrade over time. If your unit is old, it may just not be able to handle the 7870 anymore. As it is, your power supply is slightly under the minimum recommended wattage.

"On your average system the cards require you to have a 550 Watt power supply unit as minimum"

AMD Radeon HD 7850 and 7870 review - Hardware setup | Power consumption

It appears the 6950 requires slightly less wattage, so it would make sense that it wouldn't exhibit the same problems.

"500 Watt or greater power supply with two 75W 6-pin PCI Express® power connectors recommended."

http://www.amd.com/en-us/products/graphics/desktop/6000/6950

I'd test with a higher wattage supply. Give yourself a little breathing room- 600 watt if possible.

madmatt

What is that place? A hangout for total noobs who have no idea of hardware and how it works? The psu´s both card manufacturers are suggesting have such high wattage numbers because they know that many people are using so called china crackers. That is why they say you need 550 watt as a minimum because those cheap psu´s only give you a fraction of that. A single 7870 and a core i5 should be easily powered with a good 80plus 450watt psu and there would be still more then enough room to overclock. kdr´s computer might take about 280 watt while using prime and furmark simultaniously so his 520watt psu is even overpowered. And to suggest that his vertical lines appeared because a 6950 takes less power than a 7870 just underlines that incompetence. First of all, the 7870 has a max tdp of 175w while the 6950 has a max tdp of 200w. Second, if the psu wouldn´t be strong enough, which it obviously isn´t, the computer wouldn´t even start.

Trying to help and all that stuff might seem nice, but you, danglingparticiple, and especially waltc, have proven more than once now that you have no fricking idea what you are talking about. Please go and read some stuff and educate yourself about a topic before going to forums acting all smart like you guys have a clue.

It´s really embarrassing.

4 of 7 people found this helpful
                                          warpfact0r10

"Second, if the psu wouldn´t be strong enough, which it obviously isn´t, the computer wouldn´t even start."

No. Just no. I have seen far too many instances where this is not the case. Random reboots without any explanation in the event log. Replace the power supply, and the problems cease. Seen it all before and have no doubt I'll see it again.

Running near max load on a 4-year-old power supply that didn't even meet the minimum wattage requirements when it was new. Likely choking with dust build-up. Couldn't possibly contribute to any issues.

1 of 5 people found this helpful
                                              madmatt

I already explained why they suggest such high wattage numbers and random reboots or no boots at all are still very different from vertical lines which almost always occur with faulty VRAM. A good psu, like the Antec HCG 520, might decrease in efficiency in four years by low single digits. I´ll do the math for you but after that I won´t answer to people anymore who have obviously no clue what they are talking about:

i5 2500k: 95 max tdp, takes about 85w full load

7870: 175 max tdp, takes about 145w full load

maybe 2 case fans with max 5-10w for both

maybe 3 harddirves with 20w for all

Takes us to 85+145+10+20=260w MAX

That is 260Watt MAX

how is that "running near max load?

Just lol

edit: sorry forgot the ram, 2 sticks with 1.5w each brings us to 263Watt

4 of 5 people found this helpful
                                                madmatt

so you decide to mark my respond as not helpful though I am stating facts? Nice to argue with guys like you and waltc. Don´t let facts confuse you, right? Here are the results from Computerbase. The power consumption of the whole testsystem equipped with an Intel Core i7 2600k @ 4.5 GHz which drains a lot more power than kdr´s i5 2500k since it is an i7 and it´s overclocked:

256Watts under load

for an Intel Core i7 2600k @ 4.5 GHz, the 7870, 3 drives, 4x 2.048 MB OCZ DDR3-1600 (8-8-8-24), and two case fans.

Do you have a counter argument or do those facts just confuse you?

source: AMD Radeon HD 7870 und HD 7850 im Test (Seite 10) - ComputerBase

4 of 4 people found this helpful
                                      kdr

My powersupply is no no-name china-cracker and I monitored the the watt usage after i got the HD7870. I dind´t come over 260 W under load and 60 W in idle(the whole PC). Less than with the HD6950 DCII(which becomes hotter and is louder).

If you look here: AMD Radeon HD 7870 und HD 7850 im Test (Seite 10) - ComputerBase  both cards are more or less the same.

Also if the powersupply would be to weak, it would just shut down and dont damaging the VRam(the pic shows imo broken VRAM)

Btw the powersupply is now 4 years old.

I just have an old OEM PC (from 2005) with 300W powersupply and imo only PCI-E 1.0 and Vista.

vapor-x

KDR

kdr wrote:

after installation of the Crimson driver on my MSI HD7870 Twin Frozr I played some hours of World of Tanks.

Based on this statement I am reasonably sure the drivers where not the cause of the cards failure. The reason I say that is if the fans had been stuck at 20% the card would have overheated within a few minutes not hours and you would have been experiencing artifacting, stutters from throttling and crashes which would have kept you from extended play. The installation of the drivers could be a coincident of the timing for the failure.

kdr
                                            I dont know, normaly while playing the fan speed is around 25-30% so not much higher than the 20%. Also WoT isn´t high usage all the time, in general you can say you have to wait half of the time(for platoonmates, or clanwars and so on) The average battle time is around 5-7mins and than 3-5mins idle. It is not liek Crysis where the cards heat up very fast and becomes loud.
                                            Also my case hase a good airflow so I dont belive the card will overheat so fast.
                                            edit: I never noticed any throttle with my cards even with 37°C roome temperature in summer(now around 20-21°C).
                                            I also remarked that the VRAM has no heastsinks, so when the GPU starts throttling, the VRAM is much hotter.
                                            edit2: Btw it is nice to know that Sapphire thinks that a 3 year old GPU (used for ~ 2,5 years) is old enough to die. Great throw-away-society and reminds me to never buy any Saphhire products, which are allowed to fail after the 2 years warranty(or do i missunderstand your statement?).
                                            My good old ASUS HD6950 DCII is working 4,5 years without problems, this is how GPUs should be build. Not for just surriving  a lttile bit longer than the warranty.
                                                vapor-x

Not a matter of old enough to die, saying that one does not lead to another for conclusions. You state under load your system does not normally go over 30% and evidently that is even during much warmer weather. Again this is indicating that heat up of the card is not the likely culprit. Also you mentioned the VRMs are uncovered, and that throttling means they are hot, true except you never said you saw throttling. Also VRMs have a much higher temp threshold than GPUs and it takes a lot for them to fail.

Also reading back at your post I am curious why you think is had to be the driver fan issue that was your problem. The only evidence presented is your card had an issue after the drivers where installed, this is a symptom, not a proof.

Look I am not trying to diminish the fact your card has died, this is awful, as a gamer I hate it when I cannot game like I enjoy so I feel your pain. However the bandwagon for jumping on this driver glitch is getting a bit full and not all of the cases are what they seem. Your own statements are pointing out that this is not a driver issue that caused the problem.

Finally do I think it is okay for a card to die after a few years? I am curious when I said that. I think it is awful. We pay good money for the product we buy and we expect a reasonable time for them to work. Sapphire as a company has the LOWEST failure rate of any AIB that I am aware of when it comes to GPUs. I was attempting to show that your anger at this might be misplaced and AMD was not the cause of the issue. Not seeking to argue.

2 of 4 people found this helpful
                                                    kdr

Oh I love PR guys maybe you are a great human, but it is your job that makes you.......awkward

Maybe my post wasn´t clear enough:

1. I said in WoT it doesn´t go over 30% fan speed, not in general. I reached 60-70% fanspeed in other games

2. I never said that this fanspeed is also at 30% during hot weather.  I said i never noticed throttle at hot weather.

3. I never said that hot VRAM let the GPU throttle. A hot chip will maybe let the card throttle, but not hot VRAM. Did the HD7870 eveb have a VRAM temperature sensor? Imo not.

So it cant throttle thanks to hot VRAM.

4. If the GPU has 80-90°C, the VRAM without heatsinks (and now without the cooling air from the fan) will be much hotter and close to the 100-110°C

5.Yeah i have no proof that the driver killed my card, but i never said i had one. You can calm down, I am from old europe and won´t sue you or AMD.

Yeah the only evidence is, that the card dies after 1,8h after installling the driver and many other with GCN 1.0 got the same problems.

6. I was on the fu bandwagon before it was one. Look at my posts here: MSI HD7870 Twin Frozr 2GD5/OC kein Videosignal nach Treiberfreeze(?) - ComputerBase Forum , here:

MSI HD7870 Twin Frozr 2GD5/OC kein Videosignal nach Treiberfreeze(?) - 3DCenter Forum and here: Forum de Luxx

My first topic about this problem  was started on 25. November, around 6 hours after installing the driver and facing the problem.

But nice, this is the way of all PR or lawyers, first: "it´s not our fault(so the it is the customers fault)", "you can´t proof it" and so on.

I understand that you don´t want to take responsibility for this and you shouldn´t. It it not Saphhires fault.

7. Where do you find the conclusion in my statement, that it was no driver issue?

8. For you it was ok that the card failed (after this short amount of time). You said: it was "The installation of the drivers could be a coincident of the timing for the failure".

So no words about the early end of the card and that a failure is unlikely.

9. I call your statement about failure rates wrong (data from January 2015): Cartes graphiques - Les taux de retour des composants (11) - HardWare.fr  :

- MSI 2,25% (contre 2,10%)

- Gainward 2,67% (contre 1,97%)

- Gigabyte 2,98% (contre 3,64%)

- ASUS 3,00% (contre 1,92%)

- Zotac 3,09% (contre 1,61%)

- Sapphire 4,04% (contre 2,80%)

- HIS 5,09% (N/A)

and May 2015 (Cartes graphiques - Les taux de retour des composants (12) - HardWare.fr )

- Gainward 1,44% (contre 2,67%)

- Zotac 1,57% (contre 3,09%)

- ASUS 2,08% (contre 3,00%)

- Gigabyte 2,37% (contre 2,98%)

- MSI 2,48% (contre 2,25%)

- Sapphire 2,71% (contre 4,04%)

So your statement is worthless and shows me that as typical PC-guy you would ignore facts.

And you whole statements abour my problem get a touch.

Sorry for the off-topic.

10. If I would just ignore(or deny) my mistakes at work, people could/will die and damage to the customers facilities and equipment is done for 100%.

I don´t get it about how many people or companys don`t have the balls to say that they are responsible for a problem.

2 of 3 people found this helpful
                                                        waltc

Honestly, you likely already know you aren't getting another card out of this...your card is out of warranty.  You also know your PSU is insufficient and likely to be the cause, here.  Ignoring the advice given here will not help you in the slightest...;)  Good luck, though...hope you get it sorted out.

Oh, and we aren't "PR guys"--we don't work for AMD.

1 of 3 people found this helpful
                                                            kdr

Vapor-X is from Spahhire PR: vapor-x  and I never said you work for AMD.

I start thinking most of you have problems with reading.

Too the thoughts about my powersupply see post above from Dec 4, 2015 6:52 PM.

I know my card is out of warranty and this is the reason I am posting here. If i still had warranty I just would start a RMA.

waltc

I am simply trying to suggest a course of common sense for you.  You can rail on in various forums about the injustices of life until the cows come home, but the bottom line is that you are left with two solid realities:

1) You are asking for "help" even though each of your posts is a testament to the idea that you don't think you need any help--that you know it all and that anything anyone might say that differs from what you want to hear is a "troll" or completely wrong

2) Your card is out of warranty.  Electronic devices have finite lifespans.  For whatever reason, your 3d card has failed, apparently, according to you, since you "know" that all of the other electronic components in your system are indestructible and that they absolutely cannot be failing in any way.

Talking about problems with reading, did you not know your card had a three-year warranty when you bought it?...;)  Of course you did.  If you think a three-year warranty is "throw-away," try the 1-year from Apple (a company that really does make disposable products for people with disposable brains.)  You've stated only that your card is out of warranty--not how far out of warranty it is, presently, not that it has any bearing on things. Out of warranty is simply out of warranty--whether a month or a year, is irrelevant.

Right now, I am running the Crimson drivers inside the CCC shell--so that I get full function from the driver.  I ran the original Crimsons, too, without any problems from overheating.  While that has no bearing on your situation, it also leads me to believe that most likely your problems have been caused by something else.  Sorry that this is not what you want to hear.

The biggest problem I have observed with people dealing with various component-related computer issues is that they often get ideas into their heads that are not congruent with the reality.  Like for instance you believing that a three-year warranty denotes a "throwaway product."  That's ridiculous since we already know that your card has lasted three years.  People think things should last forever--but unfortunately, absolutely nothing ever does.  That's just a fact.

BTW, the PSU I recommended to you costs ~$75 via Amazon...and it provides a semi-modular cable system with 40% more amperage on the 12v rail, and lots more overall wattage. I recommended it only because it is a better buy than what you have and a better PSU for the same money.  You seem to fly to pieces completely whenever someone suggests that you should think about buying some new components.  Why is that?  The new R9 380 4GB cards are both d3d12-compliant in hardware and priced @ around $200--they are both much better GPUs than what you have and a good deal cheaper, too.  Plus they'll reset your GPU warranty.

There've been a lot of good suggestions made to you in this thread by people other than me--and your reaction is to get mad and accuse them of "not reading."  That's advice that you should take yourself, imo.

Good luck--hope you get things sorted!

macaveli

Hello mate mine done same thing black screen. But yours seems to be doing it a lot faster. Mine happens when I turn a game on and play it. I get black screen and all fans are still running. Motherboard light still on. I have been using gpu temp to monitor it. It shows clearly gpu over heating I tried a different heatsink done same thing and then tried an older one I had which made it work. But not on high resolution over 1920x1080. So if you can try replacing the heatsink compound with a good one and see if you can get it going.

kdr

I don´t have any other heatsinks. And I dont just had a blackscreen, I had graphical errors. So a better heatsink wouldn´t solve physical damage.

madmatt

hey kdr,

just ignore people like waltc (I mean that guy lost all credibility when he suggested a 750w power supply for a single card and called the Antec HCG 520 a china cracker lol, what a noob) or vapor-x. My card went north to 90c because of this fricking crimson driver, too and I don´t want to really think how hot the vrm´s did become as they are usually about 20-25c degrees hotter than the cpu. Thankfully my 280x is still functioning but there is no denying that several cards died because of crimson. Best is to vote with your wallet. As long as AMD has people like vapor-x on their payrole, who blames everyone but AMD (sure, a weird coincidence lol) and don´t admit messing up big time with crimson I will not buy AMD products ever again. Not that they are too long around anyways. Will just lay back and watch that huge class action lawsuit break their neck once and for all.

3 of 5 people found this helpful
                                                            smartwater2@live.com

I am also having graphical errors AFTER updating to crimson, here are the issues I am facing right now

1- artifacts during the power up screens.

2- vertical lines and artifacts during the game play(less than 2 minutes) then my pc will crash.

I tried to remove all the amd drivers and reinstall the 15.7, and the problems were still there. I put the hd 7870 into my 2nd pc, the artifacts and vertical line still popped out.

I do believe the crimson driver fan issues can cause heat problems to surrounded components on the pcb.

epicbackfisch

Same here with my 7870, after installing crimson it overheated, crashed and took damage. Now horizontal artifacts all over the screen.

lordgs

when i instalind Crimson driver my r9 270 card working fully loaded. why?

smartwater2@live.com

I received this email earlier after I contacted my card's manufactory

You card is still fixable. Contact AMD at 408-749-4000, and ask for technical support. They can sent you a patch to fix your issue.

We don’t fix card, but replace card. Your card is out of warranty. Sorry for the inconvenience.

I feel I just read something like VW will be able to use a software update to fix its diesel car emission scandle.

esmea

I simply can't let all of this misinformation in this thread stay as it is.

A. The driver is causing issues: yes. This is true, but have you tried a full system REFORMAT (not refresh, not repair, not DDU, only full on system wipe) to see if the problem remains? If it does (BEFORE you install drivers), then your problem is, indeed, hardware.

B. The PSU issue: soooo many misnomers flying around that my face hurts from the expressions of disbelief on my face as I read it all. You don't need another PSU to test your current one. Use your choice of hardware monitoring programs that will provide a realtime display of your voltages (and preferably shows the min/max). Use said program as you do tasks to see if any of your voltages fluctuate wildly. If they do, then that is an indication that one of two conditions exist: 1. you have too many programs running that are trying to access the hardware information, e.g. Corsairlink loves to interfere with AISuite or HWmonitor. 2. there is too much load and not enough supply... yes your PSU loses efficiency at an exponential rate - a 600W PSU might only be able to push 400W three years later. Brand name doesn't matter, ALL parts will wear out over time, some faster than others; electricity is volatile and damaging, even to components that are designed to utilize it.

Your PSU might be fine, or it might not be, I'm not agreeing with either side because there isn't enough information.

I'm inclined to believe that this situation has been blown out of proportion. It is obvious that Crimson isn't the best solution for everyone, and that there are some that have issues with the new driver that requires them to not use it for now (yes, I'm part of that group that can't). You mentioned using 15.7 and 15.4 catalyst drivers, both of which had their own problems. Have you tried the 15.11.1 CATALYST drivers? (I think they were from around the 14th of November?).. that was the last Catalyst version, and it introduced the massive 20% performance increase... I haven't been able to locate a download of it on AMD's site yet, but I have a copy saved (even though I'm referring to myself, I would still only recommend acquiring from the official source... anyone out there find an AMD link to the non-crimson version? filename: amd-catalyst-15.11.1beta-64bit-win10-win8.1-win7-nov14.exe)

Edit: I finally found it - you can get that driver from

http://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-articles/Pages/latest-catalyst-windows-beta.aspx

specifically, http://www2.ati.com/drivers/beta/amd-catalyst-15.11.1beta-64bit-win10-win8.1-win7-nov14.exe

I wish you the best of luck in resolving this issue without additional costs.

1 of 2 people found this helpful
                                                                        kdr

Thank you for your statement:

too A: I dont wiped my system, but I installed Windows on my old 64GB SSD and the problem still exists.

too B: non of my voltages are changing fast, beside the vcore of the CPU (and this is normal and coupled to the clock of the CPU)

Do you have any example, explanation or so(maybe a link) which shows that a PSU will lose 1/3 of it´s power over the years? I think 10-15% are more likely than 33 or more %. And even with this power it would be enough for my system @ maxium load( don´t exists while gaming WoT).

too catalyst: 15.7 and 15.9 and 15.4 worked pretty fine for me before the GPU was killed.

I tried the 15.11.1 and the problem is still there.

Thank your for your help and whish.

madmatt

I appreciate your input on that matter but since you did not state facts to underline your statements regarding lost efficiency with older psu´s I might do that and show you a link I found:

Das leisten alte Netzteile: 16 Netzteile unserer Leser im Test (Seite 4) - ComputerBase

What Computerbase did was ask for older psu´s from their readers to check them again. Those psu´s are almost 10 years old by the way and their efficiency is still at values they where marketed with. kdr´s psu is only 4 years old so I´d bet all my money that testing his psu would show almost no loss in efficiency at all. If everything runs smoothly with your setup and all of a sudden, after installing a new driver that has a driver bug (which AMD admitted) your system heats up and shows graphical corruption typical for broken vram you don´t have to be nostradamus to see a pattern.

It is more or less proven that crimson fried several cards and calling that "out of proportion" is a slap in every customer´s face who has now a broken video card he paid serveral hundred € for. If my card was fried I wouldn´t calm down the slightest. The poor way AMD handles the situation further shows me that this company is totally messed and does not deserve my money. There is no need fo brand loyalty.

dani087

Lol,  i have same problem after updating my power color hd7870 with crimson. After uninstall driver with ddu  i can't even install new driver, it stuck with black screen and freeze my system every time i try to install driver.

My system : Intel i5 3470, asrock z77 extreme 4, corsair vengence 1866 2x4gb, wd cav blue 1tb, seasonic s12ii 520w bronze, windows 10 pro 64bit

laca

Yes, CRIMSON DRIVER KILLED my HD7870.

PSU is good, Corsair TX650M, about 3 years.

Black screen, and other computer black screen, too.

There is no, guarantee, and no invoice.

I'm never play game, or video editing!

What can I do?

Have I to buy a new card?????????????????????????????

It's funny...

alirio

'm very, very sad...

I've two VTX3D Radeon HD7970 x-edition in crossfire, windows 10 64 bit and, after install the first Crimson driver I was playing Crysis 3, as usual. Suddenly, the game freezes and, no matter what, it was not possible to quit the game. A few moments later, first card was fried. Yes, FRIED!

I've made several tests in the PCI slots and the card was damaged. Final. Blue screens, artifacts and strange color stripes.

Can someone help me to demand the money I've paid or a new card, for example, an R9 280 X. I can provide the invoice from Amazon UK.

I'm prepared to go, even, to the FTC - Federal Trade Commission for help, even, knowing I live in Europe.

Shame on you AMD, that's not fair. I want a new card!

Hope AMD has an ethical standard.

Alírio

Portugal

esmea

Have you tried it on another system?

alirio

Theres no need to trie another system: look:

- I've tried changing PCI slots and, definitely my principal card shows always color distortions, artifacts, vertical red stripes and causes blue screens.

- I've formated again Windows 10 and immediately after boot, whiteout any drivers yet, there they are, the same distortions and stripes. The card accepts catalyst drivers beta but, immediately after using, blue screen! My second card, for my luck, was not damage.

So, I've the sufficient experience to know that was the first software Crimson before correction update. Something very serious happen after frozen Crysis 3.

I've always played just fine all Crysis (One, Warhead, Crysis 2 and, Crysis 3) with no problems until the dam day of the Crimson release.

I've don´t have the time and the emotional strength to this kind of "testings". The card is damaged, period. AMD is the culprit!

So, please, if someone from AMD is reading this forum I, gladly pay the postal expenses to America and send the card to you, guys.

Regards

Alírio

(sorry for my bad English...)

esmea

I'm sorry to hear that you do not feel up to extensive consumer-end testing to rule out any other possibilities that would have the same effect on any potential replacements. I hope you understand that without performing such checks, the accusations you make can only be taken as emotional heat-of-the-moment conjecture.

Have you done any overclocking of the GPU memory? Perhaps using MSI Afterburner, GPUTweak, Trixx, Catalyst's Graphics Overdrive, etc. This can sometimes cause such a situation to occur.

Have you looked for any firmware updates for your GPU(s)?

Did you try the Catalyst 15.7.1 drivers?

The drivers that come with Windows 10 are sufficient for driving the GPU - Catalyst control center is installed as part of that, and is immediately available after windows update completes for the first time. You mentioned that by manually updating the driver after reformat, the issue reappeared - could you try accessing the catalyst control center that comes with windows update to downclock your GPU and its memory (don't lower the power settings, though) to see if that eases the problem?

You don't need to do any of this, I'm just merely making helpful requests to try and pin down the exact problem. Nobody likes it when there is a problem with a computer, but pitchforks and torches aren't needed.

alirio

Dear Sirs,

This card comes highly overclocked from factory and, in an crossfire system like mine, overclocking doesn't make much sense;

I've always game powerful games until the day of the first release of Crimson software;

During Crysis 3, the system suddenly frozen in a way that it was not possible to shutdown the PC not even with the Control Alt Del command. I've force shutdown.

After booting it appears artifacts, red vertical stripes and color distortions;

I've used the AMD clean tool and I've downgraded driver to the last Catalyst Beta. Artifacts, red stripes and color distortions never disappear;

I've tested my two cards in the different PCI slots, one and each other, and the result was unequivocal  - my principal card was damaged;

I've reformatted Windows 10 with the two cards in the PCI slots, during SSD process of formating, the distortions, red stripes and artifacts were there;

I've installed the latest Beta Catalyst and after stress test of the GPU's immediately shoes up a blue screen and a strange noise from one of the cards;

I've removed one and each card from the PCI slots inverted positions of the cards, trying only with one card itch time, allays uninstalling and installing driver - the conclusion is final:  I'm a sad owner of a damaged card by AMD software.What more tests do I need?

Right now I run only one card and the latest beta Catalyst driver in Windows. I'm afraid of Crimson, even with the corrections you've made to the known bug.

Thats not an accusation, is life's reality, and all of us must assume our mistakes.

So, I'm an honest guy and an old AMD costumer from the times of the HD 4000 series, HD 5000 series and now in the HD 7900 series.

----------------------

Provide me a physical address, in Europe or USA, and I can send to AMD via transporter my damaged card. I pay the expenses, no problem with that, and leave in your hands the "correct" testings to be done, and the solutions that your ethical conscience finds.  It's not hard to assume honesty in life.

Regards.

Alírio

Portugal

laca

Yes, I,m send too my card to AMD USA!

esmea

I know you're probably sick and frustrated with me, and that's okay.

Have you tried contacting the manufacturer of the GPU card? This is the first time that I've ever heard of VTX3D (and their site appears to be down right now, which doesn't help).

I'd like you to have an idea of how much I understand your frustration: My own GPU did go bad recently, but the timing of such an event and the manner in which it happened is just merely a coincidence that it looks exactly like everyone else's situation - there's just a few tiny differences that mean the world:

1. I did notice strange behavior from my GPU several weeks before the Crimson drivers came out, but chalked it up to aging monitor or my CPU's IMC getting worse (a situation I was carefully working on).
                                                                                                    2. I did a LOT of research into my problem before coming to the conclusion that the situation was not something I could resolve by myself; I learned that it was my GPU's memory going bad, and was a problem that could be mitigated by underclocking the memory frequency (this fixed all of the graphical issues as well as the complete system halts w/ black screen... but only if I could get into the OS and have Catalyst or Crimson load before it halted).
                                                                                                    3. Instead of reaching for a torch and pitchfork, I quietly and calmly contacted my card's manufacturer, who gracefully handled the issue and processed an RMA for the device... being calm, kind, and grateful can get you far as a consumer - no company in their right mind would be malicious, but dealing with hateful customers can be stressful beyond belief and is usually met with equal resistance; the more accommodating you are to a company, the more accommodating they can be for you.

This situation is obviously not something that anyone wants to be in, but to anyone who thinks that simply switching to NVidia will rid you of such problems, you need to understand that they have an even worse history in drivers - specifically drivers that flatout kill video cards (ref. driver 196.75 debacle from 2010, and just this month, they had a similar driver problem coincidentally concurrent with Crimson's issue...), nevermind the class action lawsuit back in 2009 that could've potentially wiped Nvidia out of business (google it, it was big news).

We, as consumers, will go through a lot of issues. As long as updates happen, they will prove that no product is perfect, and you should never expect it to work perfectly. Problems happen, but if you want the products that you buy to work as best as possible, then we all need to cooperate in providing feedback that isn't drowned in emotional hubbub, which some poor employee will be expected to wade through and sift out the real issue at hand so that something can be done in remedy.

I can only wish you all the best of luck, I've been there with you. I'm merely just another consumer, though, only trying to help as much as I can.

bluesadam

Were you using the 15.11.1 hotfix? AMD knew this problem and they released a new version with hotfix in 2 days. If you had not updated your driver to 15.11.1, I would rather say it is user's fault. If this problem happened on 15.11.1 Crimson version, I don't think it is driver related.

alirio

Listen man, there was no hotfix, capice? The card was fried before the release, OK!?

Last update on my problem: I've placed, today, again, the damaged card in the first slot of PCI after removing the second who works and, nothing,  she doesn't even post video!

So, I'm waiting for an address to send, on my expenses, the card to AMD fine engineers... I suspect they must carry on new "tests". They are lucky because consumer rights and courts don't work globally.

I'm tired of this nonsense.

Why shall I feel almost a lier,  guilty and stupid with technical mistakes from a big corporation?

It reminds me the problem with Volkswagen!

AMD,  be ethical and receive the damaged cards from all consumers and test them! Repair them, or send new ones!

So, where is the address to send, Europe or USA?

Regards

kdr

1. pls read my 1st post again.

2. I installed the Crimson driver on Wednesday  the 25th of Novemeber(1 day after release) and 1.8h later my card was killed, I never had the chance to update the hotfix before my card suffer from phsical damage.

3. I tried 15.11.1 hotfix afterwards but a driver wont fix a phsical broken card.

3 of 3 people found this helpful
                                                                                                    madmatt

that fanboy logic lol. So a hotfix comes out a whole week later than the official driver marked as beta but people who loaded the official crimson driver are at fault because they did not travel forward in time to get a hotfix driver? Even if I download the official crimson driver (the one with the fan bug) now and don´t apply the new hotfix BETA driver it would not be my fault since AMD is so messed up they did not even pull the faulty driver.

http://support.amd.com/de-de/download/desktop?os=Windows+10+-+64

In your weird non-logical world people are supposed to read that one twitter tweet AMD made reagrding the bug? There are no people who just go to the website and download the latest official driver without reading through different forums that warn them about a fan bug? If AMD is still giving out the faulty driver as the latest offical whql driver on their website, and your card is damaged because of that, of course it is their fault. They should have fricking pulled that driver but they still did not.

Nice try blaming the customer though. Sad thing is you are probably not even paid by AMD for writing stuff like that.

5 of 5 people found this helpful
                                                                                                      smartwater2@live.com

Yeah, I am totally agree with you. It is user's fault to even get amd crimson driver installed, and amd did a great job to release a HOTFIX in 2 days. But maybe a COLDFIX  is what we need for our burnt cards.

2 of 2 people found this helpful
                                                                                                      aswinauditore

My 7850 is also dead. Will they RMA it ? Any updates on this ??

laca

I see, there is a new crimson software, 15.12.

How can I install, because my monitor is BLACK after 15.11?

I have HD7870.

I think is DEAD...

laca

So, my HD7870 is dead for crimson softvare.

I'm unhappy, because I have to buy a new card.

I had 3 AMD card, and I have not problem...

I will buy nVidia.

Sorry....

alirio

Damaged HD 7970

There's no need for an answer, dear sirs from AMD!

Amazon refund my damaged card. The card was burned by CRIMSON first release.

That's a really strange attitude from ADM - Silence.

Regards.

Alírio

Portugal

kdr

UPDATE:

I want to say a big thank you to AMD for your help with my RMA. Special to amdmatt and the AMD global customer care.

3likos

I am having the exact same issues but know my GPU (sapphire hd7870 Gh edition) is dead.
                                                                                                                is there anything I can do?

my card is out of warranty but the problem was caused by AMD's fault.

Will they accept RMA?

sir_higginson

Same here, Sirs...

Radeon7870-->Driver update--> blackscreen.

i uninstalled the driver (which was not easy as it should be, btw) , started windows --> standart VGA works.

Downloaded the whole new driver --> installed --> restart --> Starting windows - screen --> black screen.

Have you AMD guys really just destroyd my GC, or is there something can be done?

I usually use the open hardware monitor to check the temeratures of CPU, GPU, etc

After the blackscreen by driver update, the GC is no longer listed by the hardware monitor...

i am more than not amused now...

argulkit

Same here, mate. Just wanted to play ME:A with my friends and boom. Dead GPU. :c

I upgraded drivers, starts game and after 2 min in actual game (not even left options) PC froze. After hard reset black screen.

I don't know if this problem solvable but I'm getting my blackday stash to buy new GPU and sadly not from AMD. No offense honestly, just don't have enough money atm.