4 Replies Latest reply on Dec 14, 2015 1:03 PM by noelc

Does Crimson Provide Equivalent Desktop Management Color Settings?

noelc

One of the prime reasons I run Catalyst Control Panel is to load display calibrations for multiple monitors - to get them to all match one another quite well in rendering the sRGB color space.

Specifically, I adjusted settings for each monitor with the old Catalyst Control (e.g., 15.9.1) Desktop Management > Desktop Color panel, then saved the set as a preset via Presets > Add Preset...  It is then loaded to calibrate all monitors nicely just after logon.

Simple question:

If I upgrade to Crimson, does the new Radeon Control panel provide the same calibration adjustment and preset save / auto-load functionality?

-Noel

• Re: Does Crimson Provide Equivalent Desktop Management Color Settings?
          noelc

Not one person here who has installed Crimson knows whether color settings can be adjusted, and the results saved in a profile that's auto-loaded on login like in past releases?

-Noel

noelc

And STILL no insight into whether the current driver provides the basic functionality of its predecessors.

I can only assume that no one at AMD wants to answer this (it would take a single 2 or 3 letter word) because the functionality has been eliminated.  AMD, you do realize that ongoing support influences people in deciding what hardware to buy next, right?

Maybe folks couldn't read my question because the font is too small.  Windows will do that to you...

Does the new Radeon Control panel provide calibration adjustment and preset save / auto-load?

-Noel

fenrysk

This is the most important part of the driver for me as well, that I actually registered on the forums to drop a report for the devs.

I'd like to let you know that so far, Crimson Edition actually uses left-over bits of CCC (labeled as Radeon Additional Settings, but you can see that it's still the CCC.exe) for monitor color controls. Right now, it doesn't even auto-load on boot, I had to manually put CCC.exe into the start-up folder. I have also noticed that if the computer goes to sleep/stand-by, the color settings actually have to manually be reactivated for both monitors (button to reactivate AMD color controls is grayed out, so I usually just toggle the gamma up and down). It's totally annoying tbh. I am heavily considering rolling back to catalyst.

I'm running a Gigabyte R9 380 (recently installed) with Crimson Edition Beta update.

Previously I had two 6850s with an older version of Catalyst (which ever version where performance on the 6000's were considered maxed).

noelc

Thank you for that detailed report, .  I'm surprised at how difficult it has been to come by this information!

I had thought that perhaps the auto-loading of the profile might be damaged by the latest changes, and it sounds as though I was right.

It seems to be the way of things nowadays to change software for the sake of change, and in the process lose important features.

I've not seen any evidence that there are any improvements I need.  But as mature as my 7850 is, I wouldn't imagine there'd be much more performance they could pull out of it, and I don't think they're ever going to enable 30 bit color with it.  There's probably a hard limitation.

Even though I don't allow my system to go into Standby / power-down mode and I could make CCC.exe start up myself, I believe I'll just stay with Catalyst 15.9.1 for now.  Thanks again.

-Noel