3 Replies Latest reply on Nov 29, 2015 12:19 PM by shaneherald

FX8350 and AMD overdrive underclocking help

kittybot

I was wondering if anyone can help me with this AMD overdrive app to underclock my cpu.

Seeming CCC is now gone and Crimson does not have the old CPU clock speed controls I have to use AMD Overdrive to underclock my cpu to minimize heat and save power. I read the guide but I am still quite unsure, can I just use select all and take the multiplier down to go from 4.0GHz to 2.8Ghz for instance or do I also need to changes voltages etc? Could anyone help me understand or provide a source for underclocking my fx8350 as my optimal speed is 2.8GHz based on my countries high temps and the cooling I have.

• Re: FX8350 and AMD overdrive underclocking help
          shaneherald

why would you do this?.....your not going to be doing any thing cpu intensive very fast by doing that.....what's your temps on the cpu at 4ghz?.....that's just crazy to me....

kittybot

Well the main reason is to save power but at the moment i get 80c at 4.0ghz at load. I am however improving my cooling.

Crazy is a little harsh as CCC has a simple slider for clock speeds for just saving the power consumption. How exactly is it crazy to use AMD overdrive to do the same?

shaneherald

if you under clock your cpu ...its not going to run very well at all.....80 c is going to kill it that's for sure...but running at 2.8 ghz ..damn...lol....that's not going to do anything for you in the way of gaming ....id find a way to cool that cpu better ....and id do it sooner then later....dropping to 2.8 is not going to save a lot of power in the way of your power bill...maybe a few cents a month...lol....save power for what?...you got something else you need all your power in the house for?....I overclock my cpu....I don't under clock anything....lol....and yes if your dropping the MHz of the cpu you can also drop the vcore voltage....or cpu voltage...nothing else....unless your under clocking your whole motherboard.......lol yes its crazy...I have never heard of anyone taking a 8350 and running it at 2.8 ghz...lol..the lack of performance is not worth the money you think you'll save on your power bill.....

is your pc in a boiler room/furnace room?....have you used thermal past on the heat sink?....the best thermal past I have found is Antec formula 7 diamond past.......works wonderfully

I know a guy who has his house at 80f and his pc still only gets 45c...

1 of 1 people found this helpful