2 Replies Latest reply on Dec 2, 2015 10:07 AM by take2daily

HDMI sound with Displayport video?

silentwarrior

Okay. I thought I'd go and retire my DVI wiring in favour of DisplayPort (my monitor doesn't do HDMI), and now I'm trying to get sound routed through HDMI to a receiver. This worked once, but now I no longer see the HDMI-port listed among the available sound outputs for... whatever reason. Help? I can see the built-in motherboard *bleargh*, my sound card, and the DP-connection. Going into the properties for the DP-sound option suggests that it's using the HDMI connection, but that doesn't appear to be reflected by observed reality.

Setup:

Windows 10 64-bit (updated - as if it gives me the choice)

PowerColor HD6850 1 Gb

Drivers:

15.7.1 (seemed to work with both DP and HDMI connected, though I only tried it once and there were... shenanigans*)

Crimson (current; no HDMI with DP connected)

Well, that last line may not be accurate - I could get video on my TV that is connected to the receiver, but I WANTS SOUND! LOTS o' channels and Hzes! I could revert to DVI display connection, no objection there; but if this can be solved using both modern connectors, that would be great.

* No, I can not describe it better than that. This damned can is outwitting me!

• Re: HDMI sound with Displayport video?
          silentwarrior

Woo, I done science, me! I THINK I've solved it, and this should work irrespective of driver version. So, here's what I've discovered:

- If both DisplayPort and HDMI connectors are connected to the graphics card at the same time, the sound stream will not be routed through the HDMI port.

- Disconnecting the DisplayPort cable from the GPU, dusting off the DVI cable, 'AMD HDMI Output' reappeared on my list of playback devices, and could be set up as before.

Summary: HDMI Sound output is only possible when only DVI and/or HDMI connectors are used. If a DisplayPort cable is connected, the GPU will prioritise it for both video and audio output, bypassing the HDMI port altogether.

I haven't tested this at this time (because FIRE EMBLEM RADIANT DAWN!!!1! - I'm playing it on a Wii U, which lays claim to my receiver), but I'm 95 % confident of having found a working solution. If anyone reads this (AMD representative, plz?), I'd appreciate it to have this verified by someone else.

(Oh, and if you get the bit of in-joke I'll be very much impressed.)