0 Replies Latest reply on Nov 26, 2015 2:50 AM by puretone

AMD Radeon Crimson, dual gpu, dual display, one display color anomaly

puretone

(Mods, if this is the wrong sub-forum, do go right ahead and move this post to the relevant sub-forum.)

Hi Errybody!

I have me a bit of a curious goings-on.

I figured I'd make a foray into the world of the Jive-Turkeys and try the *new* Radeon Crimson package.

The initial install went fine, setup procedure had no complaints about anything.

I tend to be a speedy-Apply-OK-OK-OK-Reboot kind of fellow... "Why is this relevant?" you might ask, indeed, it is because in my haste to reboot after the initial install, I did not notice that one monitor was displaying a somewhat different color combo.

Here's my rig:

ASUS Z97-Deluxe

Xeon E3-1276

A lot of RAM

M.2 PCIe SSD (Yes, go out and buy one, giggle at ridiculous boot times)

2x Sapphire R9 380

2x Samsung S27D590 (1 monitor on DisplayPort, 1 Monitor on HDMI, both connected to the primary GPU)

Win 10 Pro

Desktop display is spanned across the two monitors.

Driver packages tested: amd-catalyst-15.11.1beta-64bit-win10-win8.1-win7-nov14 & radeon-crimson-15.11-win10-64bit

For whatever reason, the Radeon Crimson Driver/Control Panel/Software package has decided that the monitor connected to the DisplayPort output will have a very unique and rather different color spec than it should have. It seems as though it does whatever the hell it feels like when it comes to painting the entire spectra of blue.

Screenshots do not help, they turn out the way they should...curiously...and do not show the color anomaly.

I've tried the gamut already, different cables, swapping monitors, reinstalling the Crimson driver package, even installing the driver package provided by Samsung for the monitors, tweaking anything tweakable in the Crimson driver package, messing with resolutions and frequencies, messing with the Win10 displayed color options, tweaking everything and its mom in BIOS (power to PCIe, PCIe 2.0/3.0 switching, CPU features, RAM timing etc), even switching the videocards' UEFI module loading on/off. Nada.

The only way to correct things, is to fully uninstall the offending Radeon Crimson package, reboot, reinstall the Radeon Catalyst package.

!!! The difference in color displayed by either monitor is not an issue in the Radeon Crimson package for Linux (SUSE/OpenSUSE), all hardware specs the same, and the exact same DisplayPort/HDMI cables used. Seems to work flawlessly, apparently !!!

If any of you AMD tech geeks are watching, feel free to request/require more info/data, I'll provide what I can. No, not beer. Beer is for the bar & complain about teh wimminz.