2 Replies Latest reply on Nov 25, 2015 1:03 PM by waltc

How do I change the screen resolution from within the Crimson interface?

waltc

If I have to go out into Windows to Display Properties to do this, well...let's just say this will be the first GPU driver interface in AMD's 3d GPU history that doesn't allow the user to change his screen resolution!  Hopefully, it's (cleverly) hidden somewhere...?

Aside from that, I can't get the custom screen res utility to work--keeps telling me my choices won't work.  How is it that the ancient CRU works fine with the Crimson drivers, but AMD's utility does not?  It should have been modeled after CRU, imo. I'm probably doing something wrong--but I have no trouble with CRU, oddly enough.

• Re: How do I change the screen resolution from within the Crimson interface?
          waltc

I hated to do it--but have reverted back to the 15.11.1b's.

Guys, guys, guys...this is the first major misstep I've seen out of AMD in a long, long time.  Sorry to see it. Rule #1: When improving a driver interface it is fine to add new features--it's expected, in fact. But it is always detrimental to remove primary functionality that has a long and distinguished track record.  No way should screen resolution have been removed from Crimson.  If anything, screen resolution and refresh rate should have been added to per-game profiles along with overclocking and fan control!  That would have made Crimson just about perfect. Many years ago, ATi custom profiles used to include resolution (can't remember about refresh)--I even had a profile setup for returning Windows to my preferred resolution after running a game that would only open a lower-res screen.  Haven't been able to do that for a while, now.  I thought Crimson might pick up the slack.

Well, that, and continued support of keyboard shortcuts/hotkeys.  Why is the ATI external events service still installed and running if you aren't allowing keyboard shortcuts any longer?

Basically, this is the lesson that Microsoft learned with Windows 8:  It's A-OK to change things up--no problem there.  In the process, however, don't remove functionality and configuration options long a part of Windows! Windows 10 is the fix for butchering Windows 8...;)

Come on, AMD. You guys are better than this.  You want to sell $600 GPUs with drivers that don't even allow for setting the screen resolution and refresh?  Crazy.  I hope to see an announcement soon about fixing the problems with Crimson as it now stands.

• Re: How do I change the screen resolution from within the Crimson interface?
              waltc

Came back to add that in life often it is true that we don't appreciate what we have until it is taken from us...;)  Man, do I now appreciate the heck out of the traditional Catalyst desktop systray feedback and options!  It isn't logical to think of these things as disappearing because they've been a staple for so long that we take 'em for granted.  Ironically, Crimson has made me appreciate the Catalysts in ways I would never have thought of...!  For one thing, the Catalysts are nowhere near as slow opening as I had thought--Catalysts take maybe 2-3 seconds to open whereas Crimson opens in 1 sec--difference is not that bad at all.  "Dumbing down" never works, guys.  I think you have some great ideas for Crimson that need much more thought and work.  Adding in fan control and overclocking options into per-game profiles is a great boon to game profiles.  All you need to do now is add resolution and refresh rate to per-game profiling and Crimson will be a Huge success...;)